Another Season Forfeiture

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Another Season Forfeiture

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:55 am

The following 20 sports/recreational activities represent the categories contributing to the highest number of estimated head injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009.

Cycling: 85,389
Football: 46,948
Baseball and Softball: 38,394
Basketball: 34,692
Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing, Water Tubing): 28,716
Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 26,606
Soccer: 24,184
Skateboards/Scooters: 23,114
Fitness/Exercise/Health Club: 18,012
Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,948
Horseback Riding: 14,466
Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 10,223
Golf: 10,035
Hockey: 8,145
Other Ball Sports and Balls, Unspecified: 6,883
Trampolines: 5,919
Rugby/Lacrosse: 5,794
Roller and Inline Skating: 3,320
Ice Skating: 4,608
The top 10 sports-related head injury categories among children ages 14 and younger:

Cycling: 40,272
Football: 21,878
Baseball and Softball: 18,246
Basketball: 14,952
Skateboards/Scooters: 14,783
Water Sports: 12,843
Soccer: 8,392
Powered Recreational Vehicles: 6,818
Winter Sports: 6,750
Trampolines: 5,025
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:01 pm

The Schwab wrote:I agree that we shouldn't demonize football. It teaches many valuable life lessons, as do other activities. The trend that is worrying me: youth tackle football. I personally wish that they would focus on skills and terminology at that level (maybe even through 7th grade and put pads on as eighth graders).

I coached youth Football for 6 years. What we teach the kids for the last ten years has really changed. Contact in practice is limited. We don't teach stick your head in there and drive them to the ground. We teach head to the side, grad and roll to the ground. Blocking is head up and use your hands.... defense... grab and look and then react. The youth also get the best equipment. These JH programs that just hand down old varsity helmets should be ashamed. Helmets need to be replaced.
Using CTE to emasculate our society makes me mad. Nothing wrong with being a man and learning how to be a man. Wear make up and a dress and dance....
IMO Stanley emasculate their kids by telling them they will get hurt or get CTE if they play football against a team that will most likely beat them.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic man » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:20 pm

This is what came up for me as well..

Not sure what year flip is in..

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:From: "American Association of Neurological Surgeons"

The following 20 sports/recreational activities represent the categories contributing to the highest number of estimated head injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009.

Cycling: 85,389
Football: 46,948
Baseball and Softball: 38,394
Basketball: 34,692
Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing, Water Tubing): 28,716
Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 26,606
Soccer: 24,184
Skateboards/Scooters: 23,114
Fitness/Exercise/Health Club: 18,012
Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,948
Horseback Riding: 14,466
Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 10,223
Golf: 10,035
Hockey: 8,145
Other Ball Sports and Balls, Unspecified: 6,883
Trampolines: 5,919
Rugby/Lacrosse: 5,794
Roller and Inline Skating: 3,320
Ice Skating: 4,608
The top 10 sports-related head injury categories among children ages 14 and younger:

Cycling: 40,272
Football: 21,878
Baseball and Softball: 18,246
Basketball: 14,952
Skateboards/Scooters: 14,783
Water Sports: 12,843
Soccer: 8,392
Powered Recreational Vehicles: 6,818
Winter Sports: 6,750
Trampolines: 5,025
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:12 am

Screen shot
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:35 am

"What sport has the highest head injury rate?" via Google

First Article is what magic man and Bison-Vikes viewed (shows up if you scroll down)

Screenshot is the top of the page which is what flip saw.

Welcome to the internet guys...two different studies to the same question asked; two slightly different answers (slightly because they give different answers to the question in a way...BUT they both list Football high on each list).

Guess what...2nd article down has a different listing...still Football is high on the list but now a new sport moves into top spot: https://completeconcussions.com/2018/12 ... ncussions/ (2018 study)

Honest Opinion: Football, Hockey, Soccer & Lacrosse are the bigger 'risk' sports for concussion-type injuries (no particular order); at least in HS the State Associations or the NFHS has taken precautionary safety measures to do their best to keep these sports safe and reduce the injury risk.
Concussion-type injuries can occur in ALL sports (heck, I've seen a concussion or two occur in Cross Country running)...it happens. "You can't live your life in a bubble"

I coach Cross Country, Track & Field, Basketball & Softball (summer) and help in many other areas of the sports world...My stance is this: I'd rather see kids in sports/activities then sitting around and doing nothing; sports tend to keep kids from going down the 'wrong paths'. I will never berate an athlete for not going out for a sport/activity; but I will try to persuade them towards one that best suits them (or even just bring them in as managers or helpers).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Fletcher » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:31 pm

We can all agree that the perception, real or otherwise, around concussions is hurting the sport everywhere.

But I don't think that's the answer to what's really going on in Stanley? It used to be when teams had low numbers, coaches used to roam the halls, talk to parents and families and "recruit" kids to boost their numbers and build their program. Convince them of the benefits and lifetime lessons that are learned through football. I'm biased as a football fan, but those same lessons can be learned from other sports too.

Stanley's male enrollment from the 2019-20 Football Plan is 110, and yet they can only field 20 kids for football? I know a previous poster said they had 16 kids out, but the ndhsaanow.com website shows 20. Maybe some quit or got injured.

Either way consider these comparisons of schools/co-ops of similar size.
Hazen: Male enrollment 101, football roster 55 (AA)
Kindred: Male enrollment 110, football roster 49 (AA)
Lisbon: Male enrollment 102, football roster 35 (A)
Ellendale/E/K: Male enrollment 100, football roster 34 (A)

In fact, the team with the lowest male enrollment for 6-man through AAA is Strasburg/Zeeland at 22. And yet their roster is 21 players. Larger than Stanley's 20! And they have FIVE times the number of male students!

Yes, Strasburg/Zeeland's male enrollment is even LESS than all 7 teams that are playing 6-man football this year and yet they still get 21 kids out to field a 9-man team! That's how you build a roster! Note: I live in Eastern ND and have no ties whatsoever to Strasburg/Zeeland, just noting that it's quite impressive.

I thought, maybe Stanley's football team is just being out-recruited by it's X-Country team. But then I looked at their roster and they only have 9 kids participating in grades 9-12. That's only about 1/4 of all males participating in fall sports. So there's a lot of apathy and LOW participation out in Stanley....why?

Maybe Stanley's drama or band or other extra-curricular activities are stacked with kids but I don't have a real way of knowing that. Either way, I agree with a previous post by Run, it doesn't matter what activity they're in, but let's get them participating!
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bingobangobongo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 am

Fletcher wrote:We can all agree that the perception, real or otherwise, around concussions is hurting the sport everywhere.

But I don't think that's the answer to what's really going on in Stanley? It used to be when teams had low numbers, coaches used to roam the halls, talk to parents and families and "recruit" kids to boost their numbers and build their program. Convince them of the benefits and lifetime lessons that are learned through football. I'm biased as a football fan, but those same lessons can be learned from other sports too.

Stanley's male enrollment from the 2019-20 Football Plan is 110, and yet they can only field 20 kids for football? I know a previous poster said they had 16 kids out, but the ndhsaanow.com website shows 20. Maybe some quit or got injured.

Either way consider these comparisons of schools/co-ops of similar size.
Hazen: Male enrollment 101, football roster 55 (AA)
Kindred: Male enrollment 110, football roster 49 (AA)
Lisbon: Male enrollment 102, football roster 35 (A)
Ellendale/E/K: Male enrollment 100, football roster 34 (A)

In fact, the team with the lowest male enrollment for 6-man through AAA is Strasburg/Zeeland at 22. And yet their roster is 21 players. Larger than Stanley's 20! And they have FIVE times the number of male students!

Yes, Strasburg/Zeeland's male enrollment is even LESS than all 7 teams that are playing 6-man football this year and yet they still get 21 kids out to field a 9-man team! That's how you build a roster! Note: I live in Eastern ND and have no ties whatsoever to Strasburg/Zeeland, just noting that it's quite impressive.

I thought, maybe Stanley's football team is just being out-recruited by it's X-Country team. But then I looked at their roster and they only have 9 kids participating in grades 9-12. That's only about 1/4 of all males participating in fall sports. So there's a lot of apathy and LOW participation out in Stanley....why?

Maybe Stanley's drama or band or other extra-curricular activities are stacked with kids but I don't have a real way of knowing that. Either way, I agree with a previous post by Run, it doesn't matter what activity they're in, but let's get them participating!

Nice work, Fletcher.

Those are some shockingly low numbers of participants in football and cross country in Stanley, given the number of potential participants.

Without breaking any message board rules or throwing others under the bus, can anyone elaborate as to what is going on in Stanley? I am heavily involved in coaching youth baseball, basketball, and football, and I wonder if there are some "lessons learned" from that situation that could be applied to other communities so that we don't end up with the same problem.

Likewise, how does S/Z do what they are doing? There has to be something to learn from them, too.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Football