Another Season Forfeiture

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Another Season Forfeiture

Postby Attack the Process » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Just saw that Stanley forfeited all varsity football games for the 2019 season. Very difficult to see being that only 8 years ago, they won a state title, and should have won it the following year.

I don't believe the blame is all on the state (coaches need to recruit their own students better & build a culture), but does anyone see NDHSAA realizing they have a problem now? Just curious.

not cool for the other 9 teams in the AA West Region.

Will this make them take a harder look at Wahpeton's proposal?
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Re: Another Season Forfeiture

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 pm

What a joke.... their kids don't go out because they are going to get beat this year.... they can not compete. Really.... They have been kicking the crap out of schools for years..... now they are down so they cancel the season. Shame Shame Shame..... Stanley should have to play a JV schedule for all other sports as well.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 pm

maddog1971 wrote:What a joke.... their kids don't go out because they are going to get beat this year.... they can not compete. Really.... They have been kicking the crap out of schools for years..... now they are down so they cancel the season. Shame Shame Shame..... Stanley should have to play a JV schedule for all other sports as well.

They have 16 kids out for football...80% are underclassmen (fresh & sophs). Where are you getting your information on 'kicking the crap out of schools'?? They have 12 wins in past six seasons and they have been Class A during the past two season going 7-10 those two season and got bumped back up to Class AA this season. During 2010-2012 they had a good run of athletes and had some games go very lopsided in their favor but to say they have been doing that every year is extremely false.

5-31 in 4 years at the Class AA level recently with themselves being the ones getting "kicked" regularly in 2013 - 2015.

Facts: http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista ... tanley.htm

ND has an epidemic coming of low numbers in football...Stanley is NOT the only case but they are the first team to forfeit...there will be others this year (maybe not the whole seasons but single games). I know of at least 6 teams in Class A that have less then 20 players on their roster and some are even fielding 8th graders to have some depth.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Attack the Process wrote:Just saw that Stanley forfeited all varsity football games for the 2019 season. Very difficult to see being that only 8 years ago, they won a state title, and should have won it the following year.

I don't believe the blame is all on the state (coaches need to recruit their own students better & build a culture), but does anyone see NDHSAA realizing they have a problem now? Just curious.

Only 5 other teams in the AA West Region (2 Regions of 6 teams this year)

Wahpeton's proposal was for Basketball & Volleyball; the State has a committee and uses male enrollment numbers (oh and free-and-reduced lunch multiplier) for football
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Attack the Process wrote:I don't believe the blame is all on the state (coaches need to recruit their own students better & build a culture), but does anyone see NDHSAA realizing they have a problem now? Just curious.

The biggest problem isn't the state or the coaches. The biggest problem is the game. The concussion issue is front and center, but who wants to break their leg or tear their ACL? A few years ago I had a parent tell me their son's ACL surgery was a $20,000 bill. What parent wants to potentially see that bill? There are a lot of parents that won't allow their kids to play and I'm sure there are only a few that encourage them to play.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Attack the Process wrote:Just saw that Stanley forfeited all varsity football games for the 2019 season. Very difficult to see being that only 8 years ago, they won a state title, and should have won it the following year.

Only 5 other teams in the AA West Region (2 Regions of 6 teams this year)

Wahpeton's proposal was for Basketball & Volleyball; the State has a committee and uses male enrollment numbers (oh and free-and-reduced lunch multiplier) for football

I see how the NDHSAA is realigning this schools to different classes in FB. By just using the male enrollment I believe it's 9-12. They should not do it that way. This is all becoming too much of familiar frame. They should count both male and female. Instead of a team forfeiting their season why don't those teams opt to 6 Man. When they reliagn every two years teams shouldn't opt up or down if their going to have this sort of a problem. Probably going to get a lot of disagreements with these.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 am

Sorenson23 wrote:I see how the NDHSAA is realigning this schools to different classes in FB. By just using the male enrollment I believe it's 9-12. They should not do it that way. This is all becoming too much of familiar frame. They should count both male and female.

I'd be fine with it being total enrollment, but why would that be better than male enrollment?

I've mentioned this in other threads, but class b towns and schools are getting smaller and fewer kids are playing football yet they created 4 more 11 man teams in the last realignment. That makes no sense.

Instead of a team forfeiting their season why don't those teams opt to 6 Man.

Too proud.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:31 am

Flip wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:I see how the NDHSAA is realigning this schools to different classes in FB. By just using the male enrollment I believe it's 9-12. They should not do it that way. This is all becoming too much of familiar frame. They should count both male and female.

I'd be fine with it being total enrollment, but why would that be better than male enrollment?

I've mentioned this in other threads, but class b towns and schools are getting smaller and fewer kids are playing football yet they created 4 more 11 man teams in the last realignment. That makes no sense.

Instead of a team forfeiting their season why don't those teams opt to 6 Man.

Too proud.

Just my opinion though but counting all kids K-12 would make alot of sense. To see what division to put some of these teams in. And two I'm all for a 6 Man division. Even if it keeps them from forfeiting a season. Just like I'm all for a third class in basketball. And third yes alot of class b schools are getting smaller. Wouldn't they be able co-op with the next closest town. My question is why did Stanley drop and Powers Lake drop their co-op a couple of years ago. What the NDHSAA needs to do before the next reliagnment really consider adding a 6 Man division.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am

Stanley & Powers Lake split so that they could avoid getting trounced in AA.

Why should females count if they don’t play the sport (some have but it’s rare).

They use grades 7-10 not 9-12
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sorenson23 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:15 am

Sorry to get off topic here. Do they have this enrollment problem with basketball or volleyball. The NDHSAA should count total enrollment for football, volleyball, & basketball to name a few. If numbers are dropping they need to add a 6 Man division for football. Same goes for basketball & volleyball if numbers are low and can't co-op then add a third class or an independent class. Nobody likes to see forfeits in these sports. Something needs to be done.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:13 am

Sorenson23 wrote:Sorry to get off topic here. Do they have this enrollment problem with basketball or volleyball. The NDHSAA should count total enrollment for football, volleyball, & basketball to name a few. If numbers are dropping they need to add a 6 Man division for football. Same goes for basketball & volleyball if numbers are low and can't co-op then add a third class or an independent class. Nobody likes to see forfeits in these sports. Something needs to be done.

Basketball & Volleyball enrollment number is 325 to determine Class A or B. You see far less forfeits in these sports
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 am

Basketball & Volleyball enrollment number is 325 to determine Class A or B. You see far less forfeits in these sports[/quote]

Far less forfeits in these sports because you can play with far fewer kids, but I would be interested to know how many JV or C Squad games have been cancelled or forfeited in Class B over the last few years. In my area every school used to field a C Squad in VB, but now almost none of them do because they don't have the numbers. Many, many years ago in our area schools allowed Freshmen to play JH football because most of them just stood on the sidelines during HS games and never got to play. We just relied on coaches to be smart and not allow a Freshmen who was playing Varsity minutes play JH. I think the injury issues plays a huge role in kids not playing football and I am not sure how you combat that issue.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:31 am

The only time you see forfeits in BB & VB are after the fact because players play too many quarters or sets
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:43 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:The only time you see forfeits in BB & VB are after the fact because players play too many quarters or sets

GCC GBB had a couple forfeits in the 17-18 school year.

http://northdakota-scores.net/teamsched ... 2&tid=3860
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:58 am

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:The only time you see forfeits in BB & VB are after the fact because players play too many quarters or sets

GCC GBB had a couple forfeits in the 17-18 school year.

http://northdakota-scores.net/teamsched ... 2&tid=3860

It’s very rare though in those sports.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Stanley has plenty of kids in their school. They have not been successful in the past few years so their kids don't want to go out. Using concussions as an excuse is weak IMO. Programs must be built. If Stanley had won 9 games last year and went into the playoff's and they were in A... they would have plenty of kids out. This day and age of I need a trophy and feel good about myself is the problem. Not Concussions. And whoever said parents are worried about kids getting hurt???? Kids driving, drinking and doing drugs is a problem.... Football is not.

By the Way>>> Grafton is not AA but HCV and Kindred are???
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:37 pm

maddog1971 wrote:By the Way>>> Grafton is not AA but HCV and Kindred are???

Blame the current system on that...Grafton has more male students but a lot are Free & Reduced Lunch and therefore they get a break with that multiplier

There are flaws in the system but there is no perfect system for every sport. If there was then we’d have 3 classes for BB & VB as well but that’d also be more ‘trophies for all’
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby caserace0710 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:By the Way>>> Grafton is not AA but HCV and Kindred are???

Blame the current system on that...Grafton has more male students but a lot are Free & Reduced Lunch and therefore they get a break with that multiplier

There are flaws in the system but there is no perfect system for every sport. If there was then we’d have 3 classes for BB & VB as well but that’d also be more ‘trophies for all’

The Free and Reduced lunch thing does help Grafton out. A couple of other things you have to remember as well is that St. Thomas and Drayton were co-oped with Grafton.

Drayton was only in for two years (one cycle) after Drayton/Valley-Edinburg dropped their program and St. Thomas was in it for a while. Drayton decided to field a 6-man team beginning this year and Grafton dropped St. Thomas from their co-op, which ended up bringing them down from AA to A.
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Population

CLASS AA
East Region
1. Devils Lake (2) 7,293
2. Hillsboro-Central Valley (1) (School area towns about 2500)
3. Kindred (4) (School Area Towns about 1600)
4. Valley City (3) (6447)
5. Central Cass (5) ( School Area about 3500)
6. Wahpeton (6) 7826

West Region
1. Bismarck St. Mary's (1) 72865
2. Beulah (2)3226
3. Hazen (3) 2372
4. Watford City (5) 6526
5. Turtle Mountain (4) 6369
6. Stanley (6) 2645

I know that these number do not reflect the number of kids in school.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfbfan70 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Never understood why the NDHSAA doesn't have a system to petition down based on external factors(ie low participation etc..). Just because a team petitions doesn't mean it has to be granted, but it gives a team a chance for hope at least.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:27 pm

ndfbfan70 wrote:Never understood why the NDHSAA doesn't have a system to petition down based on external factors(ie low participation etc..).

are you sure they don't?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Flip wrote:
ndfbfan70 wrote:Never understood why the NDHSAA doesn't have a system to petition down based on external factors(ie low participation etc..).

are you sure they don't?

As far as I know there is no opt down...only an opt up or play independent schedule
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:46 pm

I believe the only way a program can "opt down" is if someone from their class opts up creating an opening in the lower class. I could be wrong.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby magic man » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:05 pm

maddog1971 wrote: If Stanley had won 9 games last year and went into the playoff's and they were in A... they would have plenty of kids out. This day and age of I need a trophy and feel good about myself is the problem. Not Concussions. And whoever said parents are worried about kids getting hurt???? Kids driving, drinking and doing drugs is a problem.... Football is not.

Totally Agree with this.. Concussions is a lame excuse that people are hiding behind, now that the movie and some old players had one.

Someone mentioned a 20K bill for a leg injury as being a factor.. Do leg injuries not happen in other sports? They are letting their kids play in those.

It's about the kids.. Football is a tough person sport, and most of today's kids just aren't built tough.. They are coddled..
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:08 pm

caserace0710 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Free and Reduced lunch thing does help Grafton out. A couple of other things you have to remember as well is that St. Thomas and Drayton were co-oped with Grafton.

Drayton was only in for two years (one cycle) after Drayton/Valley-Edinburg dropped their program and St. Thomas was in it for a while. Drayton decided to field a 6-man team beginning this year and Grafton dropped St. Thomas from their co-op, which ended up bringing them down from AA to A.

I thought I saw somewhere that Grafton petitioned, and was granted an emergency co-op from either St Thomas or Drayton for this year? Could have sworn I saw that in the meeting notes.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Football