The Football Plan Effects: Time and School

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

The Football Plan Effects: Time and School

Postby GJF85 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:03 am

As most of us Nodak football fans know, the regions are all set up for the 2019 and 2020 seasons. To be honest, this is one of the better setups than what I've seen in the past. While it is unfortunate that Jamestown has to play in the West Region of AAA again, they are used to the travel due to basketball, baseball, and the like. Which brings me to one thing I'd like to discuss: While I am okay with the whole enrollment and F.A.R. meals formula for classification, I'd like to see that mileage would be considered when determining the region placement. Some trips that schools have made in the past are ridiculous in my opinion. While a trip 200 miles both there and back isn't much for a college team, it's a lot to a high school team. Just eyeballing on a North Dakota map, there is a nice centralized line running through Steele, Harvey, and Rugby. In my opinion, any teams east of the line could be east, and teams west, could be west. Without the creation of a line, a mileage limit would be nice too. And if there's an uneven number of teams in each region, either fill the open spots with a Class A or Class AAA team. The last thing that needs to happen is to have a now defunct GBC/Central Dakota, Valley City, Carrington, Jamestown, or Devils Lake in the West Region for football, as well as a Statewide Region for football. If that isn't a possibility, the option to be independent until the next plan cycle comes into effect would be nice. That would then balance out regions with an uneven number of teams. While said independent team wouldn't be playoff eligible, most teams are full of young men who like hitting the gridiron after a week of school. That's what it's really all about. Football's football.
Feel free to discuss. Have a good one!
GJF85
Joshua 1:9
ND High School Baseball & Softball Website in Progress
GJF85
NDPreps Reserve

Re: The Football Plan Effects: Time and School

Postby Sniper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:11 am

GJF85 wrote:As most of us Nodak football fans know, the regions are all set up for the 2019 and 2020 seasons. To be honest, this is one of the better setups than what I've seen in the past. While it is unfortunate that Jamestown has to play in the West Region of AAA again, they are used to the travel due to basketball, baseball, and the like. Which brings me to one thing I'd like to discuss: While I am okay with the whole enrollment and F.A.R. meals formula for classification, I'd like to see that mileage would be considered when determining the region placement. Some trips that schools have made in the past are ridiculous in my opinion. While a trip 200 miles both there and back isn't much for a college team, it's a lot to a high school team. Just eyeballing on a North Dakota map, there is a nice centralized line running through Steele, Harvey, and Rugby. In my opinion, any teams east of the line could be east, and teams west, could be west. Without the creation of a line, a mileage limit would be nice too. And if there's an uneven number of teams in each region, either fill the open spots with a Class A or Class AAA team. The last thing that needs to happen is to have a now defunct GBC/Central Dakota, Valley City, Carrington, Jamestown, or Devils Lake in the West Region for football, as well as a Statewide Region for football. If that isn't a possibility, the option to be independent until the next plan cycle comes into effect would be nice. That would then balance out regions with an uneven number of teams. While said independent team wouldn't be playoff eligible, most teams are full of young men who like hitting the gridiron after a week of school. That's what it's really all about. Football's football.

Are you saying fill any open spot on your schedule or an open spot in the region with these teams?

I do not believe that all regions need to be the same exact size. I think it is okay if one region has one more team than another, as long as the difference is no more than one. Take class B basketball for an example: some regions have an odd number of teams so that means one district is going to have one more team than the other district in their region.

I do not think a mileage limit would work because sometimes teams end up being the only team in their area. Take Beach for an example, the next two years they will have crazy travel because there are no close 9-man teams around them. I am guessing they would still rather play 9-man and travel farther than opt-up to A and get to play Dickinson Trinity and Bowmen, who are closer games for them.

Lastly, I will say that I do not think it is right to pull a team up a class to make the regions even, or for travel reasons. I would rather drive farther and play in a division where I am playing similar teams than travel less and get smoked by bigger schools. Jamestown fits better into the AA division (IMO) and would still be AA if St. Mary's would have followed Shanley in opting up (or if we had a rule in place to move the private schools up one class from where their enrollment places them).
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Re: The Football Plan Effects: Time and School

Postby GJF85 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Sniper wrote:
GJF85 wrote:As most of us Nodak football fans know, the regions are all set up for the 2019 and 2020 seasons. To be honest, this is one of the better setups than what I've seen in the past. While it is unfortunate that Jamestown has to play in the West Region of AAA again, they are used to the travel due to basketball, baseball, and the like. Which brings me to one thing I'd like to discuss: While I am okay with the whole enrollment and F.A.R. meals formula for classification, I'd like to see that mileage would be considered when determining the region placement. Some trips that schools have made in the past are ridiculous in my opinion. While a trip 200 miles both there and back isn't much for a college team, it's a lot to a high school team. Just eyeballing on a North Dakota map, there is a nice centralized line running through Steele, Harvey, and Rugby. In my opinion, any teams east of the line could be east, and teams west, could be west. Without the creation of a line, a mileage limit would be nice too. And if there's an uneven number of teams in each region, either fill the open spots with a Class A or Class AAA team. The last thing that needs to happen is to have a now defunct GBC/Central Dakota, Valley City, Carrington, Jamestown, or Devils Lake in the West Region for football, as well as a Statewide Region for football. If that isn't a possibility, the option to be independent until the next plan cycle comes into effect would be nice. That would then balance out regions with an uneven number of teams. While said independent team wouldn't be playoff eligible, most teams are full of young men who like hitting the gridiron after a week of school. That's what it's really all about. Football's football.

Are you saying fill any open spot on your schedule or an open spot in the region with these teams?

I do not believe that all regions need to be the same exact size. I think it is okay if one region has one more team than another, as long as the difference is no more than one. Take class B basketball for an example: some regions have an odd number of teams so that means one district is going to have one more team than the other district in their region.

I do not think a mileage limit would work because sometimes teams end up being the only team in their area. Take Beach for an example, the next two years they will have crazy travel because there are no close 9-man teams around them. I am guessing they would still rather play 9-man and travel farther than opt-up to A and get to play Dickinson Trinity and Bowmen, who are closer games for them.

Lastly, I will say that I do not think it is right to pull a team up a class to make the regions even, or for travel reasons. I would rather drive farther and play in a division where I am playing similar teams than travel less and get smoked by bigger schools. Jamestown fits better into the AA division (IMO) and would still be AA if St. Mary's would have followed Shanley in opting up (or if we had a rule in place to move the private schools up one class from where their enrollment places them).

Sniper, I appreciate you asking for clarification. You also bring up some good points. By an "open spot", I was meaning fill a spot on the schedule. As for the mileage limit, excellent example of Beach. The other teams around the area are A and AAA. I have no idea what I was thinking last night haha. And I agree with you about the pulling teams up to make them even, that's not right at all. Jamestown does belong in AA I agree with you there. Can I ask do you think it is not right for a team to be moved from east to west for example? Or is that different to you.
GJF85
Joshua 1:9
ND High School Baseball & Softball Website in Progress
GJF85
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Football