2019-2020 Football Plan

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2019-2020 Football Plan

Postby Mandan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:48 pm

The minutes from the Jan 18 NDHSAA meeting notes the current path for the next football plan
https://ndhsaa.com/files/Board_Minutes/ ... inutes.pdf

AAA - 16 teams
AA - 12 teams
A - 32 teams
9-men - The rest, with the 6-man option available too.

And a direct quote from the minutes that "Shanley has indicated they will opt up to
the AAA division." Devil's Lake would be team 16 based on the current plan's enrollment numbers, and they'll go to AA in a heartbeat and let Shanley move up.

Makes me wonder if St Mary's would opt up too if Shanley does.

A larger AAA and AA means A few of the bigger A teams will get pulled up into AA, which also means the largest 9 man schools like Shiloh should get pulled into A and not be in a position to move down even if someone opts up.

12 teams in AA I assume would mean you'd have an East and West, so that should help the travel concerns of the current statewide AA setup. With 6 teams in each region, they'd have 5 conference games and then still have 4 non-conference games to schedule, but they will have more control over who they agree to play and how far they go.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2019-2020 Football Plan

Postby Mailman_25 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:38 pm

A larger AAA and AA means A few of the bigger A teams will get pulled up into AA, which also means the largest 9 man schools like Shiloh should get pulled into A and not be in a position to move down even if someone opts up.

Thanks for posting. Interesting stuff.

I wouldn't be so sure on Shiloh going 11-man just yet. If you crunch the numbers, they are third from the bottom of the A Division on the 2019/2020 list. You can bet Dickinson Trinity and Minot Ryan opt up. It would only take one more to opt up. Maple Valley-Enderlin is another 11 man school that is on the 9-man list that could opt up.

Also, about time on Shanley opting back up. Good for them. I don't think St. Mary's will, but the pressure is on them now.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 pm

If Shanley and St. Marys opt up, Jamestown and DL would go down without question. My only problem with AA is that will leave New Town, HCV, and Central Dakota or Kindred forced to go AA. I can see HCV competing, but definitely not New Town as they can't compete in A and were 9man just a few years ago and couldn't compete much there either. Kindred would be the best pick to move up as I believe having a single school has better chance of success than a coop of 5 different schools. I don't see any teams that would be in A wanting to opt up to AA so those schools would be stuck. But I also see the logic in moving to 12 from 10.

I would guess DT and BR opt up, but I would hope Shiloh would stay in A or even opt up if they were in 9man. Just a better fit and you would have some nice rivalries with the other two. There will be quite a bit of movement up and down for teams in the A/9man ranks.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Completely missed that the numbers are out there too. Multiple documents are available in https://ndhsaa.com/athletics/football
regarding the new plan.

Trinity dropping from 94 to 62 boys seems like a steep drop to me. Not sure what is going on there. But I agree, they and Ryan will want to play 11 man.

Looks like Beulah and Hillsboro-CV most likely back to AA after two years in A.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:26 pm

From 56 11 man teams to 60. ND isn't a state that should be adding 11 man teams.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:If Shanley and St. Marys opt up, Jamestown and DL would go down without question. My only problem with AA is that will leave New Town, HCV, and Central Dakota or Kindred forced to go AA.

What would be your problem with those teams back in AA?

By the notes, wasn't HCV looking to add students from another school as well?
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:25 am

magic man wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:If Shanley and St. Marys opt up, Jamestown and DL would go down without question. My only problem with AA is that will leave New Town, HCV, and Central Dakota or Kindred forced to go AA.

HCV and Kindred will probably compete just fine. New Town and Central Dakota have no chance.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am

magic man wrote:What would be your problem with those teams back in AA?

NCW HS in Halstad (MN) is closing it's doors after the 17-18 school year. Most of those kids will go to Ada-Borup, but some will go to Hillsboro.

edit: grammar
Last edited by Flip on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mailman_25 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 am

Hillsboro and Kindred will do just fine in AA. No Shanley or Jamestown. Potentially no St. Mary's. Wahpeton is up and down. They can beat Central Cass and Grafton more times than not. Turtle Mtn can suprise some years. Devils Lake has the ability to be tough. Watford and Beulah are strong teams. New Town and Central Dakota are wins most years. So basically, Hillsboro and Kindred will step in and be playoff contenders almost every year.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 am

Okay, I was wondering the thought behind that, thanks for clarifying.

I think that Central Dakota will end up dropping one of those co-ops, so that they can stay in 1A.

They should be a 1A team. HCV & Kindred should be in 2A.

It's tough for the NDHSAA to come up with a policy that puts these schools in their respective classes, but it would seem that just looking solely at boys class size needs to be updated a bit.

Other fall sports factoring into the calculations?

Not sure..

ndlionsfan wrote:
magic man wrote:

HCV and Kindred will probably compete just fine. New Town and Central Dakota have no chance.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Does anyone know what happened with the ruling for Hillsboro?

Mandan wrote:The minutes from the Jan 18 NDHSAA meeting notes the current path for the next football plan
https://ndhsaa.com/files/Board_Minutes/ ... inutes.pdf

AAA - 16 teams
AA - 12 teams
A - 32 teams
9-men - The rest, with the 6-man option available too.

And a direct quote from the minutes that "Shanley has indicated they will opt up to
the AAA division." Devil's Lake would be team 16 based on the current plan's enrollment numbers, and they'll go to AA in a heartbeat and let Shanley move up.

Makes me wonder if St Mary's would opt up too if Shanley does.

12 teams in AA I assume would mean you'd have an East and West, so that should help the travel concerns of the current statewide AA setup. With 6 teams in each region, they'd have 5 conference games and then still have 4 non-conference games to schedule, but they will have more control over who they agree to play and how far they go.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:51 am

magic man wrote:Does anyone know what happened with the ruling for Hillsboro?

http://www.hillsborobanner.com/sports/a ... 9e93e.html

NDHSAA board rejects request from Hillsboro to allow NCW transfers to play right away
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Flip wrote:
magic man wrote:Does anyone know what happened with the ruling for Hillsboro?

http://www.hillsborobanner.com/sports/a ... 9e93e.html

NDHSAA board rejects request from Hillsboro to allow NCW transfers to play right away

how many are there?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 pm

winner-within wrote:how many are there?

Kids that are going from NCW to Hillsboro? I don't know and I don't think there is anyway to know for sure.

edit: pure speculation on my part, but I doubt there would be 5 HS FB from NCW that would go to Hillsboro.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 am

I wonder if ncw would have been in ND, if the results/vote would be different?
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 am

magic man wrote:I wonder if ncw would have been in ND, if the results/vote would be different?

I would say possibly.....I'm sure there is an element of crossing the State line involved in the train of thought by the board along with the already size of the HCV system and athletics....although lets say there was a school just across the river from Cavalier or Pembina that was going to send some students to them, it would probably be the same outcome on the vote.....on top of it all when consolidations and schools closing happen, everybody does know, that its unfortunate and it is a dagger to the community... obviously it stems from lack of funds and lack of students but in all reality it seems the decision is made sooner than later in Minnesota than it is in ND
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am

I really have a problem with this ruling. Their school is closing, HCV isn't trying to pick and choose kids, they are opening their doors to students without a district. The point of high school activities is to try to get as many student athletes involved as possible. I really don't like how they pick and choose who they'll let play and who they won't.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 pm

I'm guessing the sticking point is the tuition agreement with Ada-Borup. NDHSAA probably just followed the same procedure they use when a ND school closes. If there was no agreement, all students would probably get to choose their school with no ramifications for the first year. Since there is an agreement with another school, I'm assuming it is treated similar to an open enrollment.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm

I don't want to get this off track anymore, but they are also very selective with how they treat open enrollments and I'll leave it at that.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:25 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I'm guessing the sticking point is the tuition agreement with Ada-Borup. NDHSAA probably just followed the same procedure they use when a ND school closes. If there was no agreement, all students would probably get to choose their school with no ramifications for the first year. Since there is an agreement with another school, I'm assuming it is treated similar to an open enrollment.

Sounds like Hillsboro will have an agreement with NCW too.
http://www.hillsborobanner.com/news/art ... 34b61.html
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:55 am

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I'm guessing the sticking point is the tuition agreement with Ada-Borup. NDHSAA probably just followed the same procedure they use when a ND school closes. If there was no agreement, all students would probably get to choose their school with no ramifications for the first year. Since there is an agreement with another school, I'm assuming it is treated similar to an open enrollment.

Sounds like Hillsboro will have an agreement with NCW too.
http://www.hillsborobanner.com/news/art ... 34b61.html

It will be interesting to see once this is in place if the NDHSAA reconsiders it again.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 pm

you can't have to many agreements...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:31 pm

The preliminary class settings are out..

Thoughts? (Hopefully I linked them correctly)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-zQMfMam4lCC8MF6kIsm3bheH8TQ4qRAVonTaiNFncs/edit?usp=drivesdk
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby airmail » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 pm

airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Quite the interesting plan to say the least. I agree with most of Ryan's points. Interesting to see Dickinson Trinity moving down to 9 man, considering they were in the AA state playoffs in 2016.

edit* I realize that New England was with Dickinson Trinity in 2016
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Football