2019-2020 Football Plan

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2019-2020 Football Plan

Postby The Schwab » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:53 am

d_fense wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:True I would say D-A should takes the 6 man route. But my two part question is.

1. How many regions will their be 5 or 6.
2. How many teams in each region.

Sorenson23, Why do you think there will be 5 or 6 regions in 9 man football? I can't see any way that there will not be 4 regions. It will make playoffs go so much smoother.

Travel would be a reason they'd consider 5 or 6 regions. My guess is they will still go with 4 (scheduling would be a lot easier that way and like you said, playoffs would be easier to schedule. If they go with 4 regions, teams out west are going to have some crazy travel, but the NDHSAA has put North Border in a region with western teams before, so you just never know what will happen!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 am

The Schwab wrote:
d_fense wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:True I would say D-A should takes the 6 man route. But my two part question is.

1. How many regions will their be 5 or 6.
2. How many teams in each region.

Sorenson23, Why do you think there will be 5 or 6 regions in 9 man football? I can't see any way that there will not be 4 regions. It will make playoffs go so much smoother.

Travel would be a reason they'd consider 5 or 6 regions. My guess is they will still go with 4 (scheduling would be a lot easier that way and like you said, playoffs would be easier to schedule. If they go with 4 regions, teams out west are going to have some crazy travel, but the NDHSAA has put North Border in a region with western teams before, so you just never know what will happen!

Right now 39 teams suggested for 9-man...

4 regions = 9.5 teams
5 regions = almost 8 teams
6 regions = 6.5 teams

Even number of regions works best
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Any chance they do something like 4 regions, don't require you to play any region games, and seed based off of QRF?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Flip wrote:Any chance they do something like 4 regions, don't require you to play any region games, and seed based off of QRF?

Doubtful IMO
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm guessing a couple more teams declare for 6man prior to the plan being finalized.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Noticed today that Fairmount/CT/R is now on the fball plan for 9man. Didn't count, but guessing that bumps it up to 39 teams. Has anyone heard of any other shakeups happening between now and the 15th? New coops, coops splitting up, teams dropping to 6man, etc? Is Standing Rock going to field a varsity team in the next plan? What is FW going to do if they are stuck in 11man?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GJF85 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:27 pm

While looking through this thread I noticed there were a few discussing the dissolving of the Central Dakota (Griggs County Central/Barnes County North/Midkota) co-op, wondering what will happen to Midkota. I attended the Central Dakota vs. Bottineau game in Cooperstown last night, and was told that only Barnes County North is being dropped from the co-op, and Midkota will stay will Griggs County Central when they move to 9-man. What they'll be called, I have no idea (Griggs/Midkota Titans). My relatives have students at Barnes County North, two of which play football, and they said that Barnes County North is working to join with Valley City for football. But then again, we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Last edited by GJF85 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GJF85
Joshua 1:9
ND High School Baseball & Softball Website in Progress
GJF85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby granfan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Fairmount/CT/R (Tri-State) is playing SD 9 man Class 9AA.

ndlionsfan wrote:Noticed today that Fairmount/CT/R is now on the fball plan for 9man. Didn't count, but guessing that bumps it up to 39 teams. Has anyone heard of any other shakeups happening between now and the 15th? New coops, coops splitting up, teams dropping to 6man, etc? Is Standing Rock going to field a varsity team in the next plan? What is FW going to do if they are stuck in 11man?
granfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 pm

granfan wrote:Fairmount/CT/R (Tri-State) is playing SD 9 man Class 9AA.

ndlionsfan wrote:Noticed today that Fairmount/CT/R is now on the fball plan for 9man. Didn't count, but guessing that bumps it up to 39 teams. Has anyone heard of any other shakeups happening between now and the 15th? New coops, coops splitting up, teams dropping to 6man, etc? Is Standing Rock going to field a varsity team in the next plan? What is FW going to do if they are stuck in 11man?

but coming to ND next season to play in 9-Man
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm

GJF85 wrote:While looking through this thread I noticed there were a few discussing the dissolving of the Central Dakota (Griggs County Central/Barnes County North/Midkota) co-op, wondering what will happen to Midkota. I attended the Central Dakota vs. Bottineau game in Cooperstown last night, and was told that only Barnes County North is being dropped from the co-op, and Midkota will stay will Griggs County Central when they move to 9-man. What they'll be called, I have no idea. My relatives have students at Barnes County North, two of which play football, and they said that Barnes County North is working to join with Valley City for football. But then again, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Everything that I have heard out of Central Dakota suggests, just like you said, Midkota and Griggs County will be together next year and play 9 man football. Barnes County North will offer their students a chance to play football in Valley City. This is sad, as it will likely really raise heck with the number of boys who will continue to play football from BCN. If Kindred would have opted up, it would have saved a lot of mess. Kindred has less than 1 student equivalent few males than Central Dakota. By Kindred not opting up, Central Dakota will break their co-op, which will hurt BCN boys and force Kindred up anyway. Tough spot for all involved. I am not sure why Kindred did not opt up.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:58 pm

d_fense wrote:
GJF85 wrote:While looking through this thread I noticed there were a few discussing the dissolving of the Central Dakota (Griggs County Central/Barnes County North/Midkota) co-op, wondering what will happen to Midkota. I attended the Central Dakota vs. Bottineau game in Cooperstown last night, and was told that only Barnes County North is being dropped from the co-op, and Midkota will stay will Griggs County Central when they move to 9-man. What they'll be called, I have no idea. My relatives have students at Barnes County North, two of which play football, and they said that Barnes County North is working to join with Valley City for football. But then again, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Everything that I have heard out of Central Dakota suggests, just like you said, Midkota and Griggs County will be together next year and play 9 man football. Barnes County North will offer their students a chance to play football in Valley City. This is sad, as it will likely really raise heck with the number of boys who will continue to play football from BCN. If Kindred would have opted up, it would have saved a lot of mess. Kindred has less than 1 student equivalent few males than Central Dakota. By Kindred not opting up, Central Dakota will break their co-op, which will hurt BCN boys and force Kindred up anyway. Tough spot for all involved. I am not sure why Kindred did not opt up.

Stanley is the low team in the AA division of the plan...Kindred would have been AA even if Central Dakota hadn't dissolved. Stanley would have benefited and Devils Lake, Valley City or Central Dakota were saved from a travel nightmare and having to play in the west division for AA...which they've had to do before.

Central Dakota adjusted number would be 103.45, Kindred 103.44 & Stanley is 97.7
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 am

I'm surprised BCN hasn't gone the 9man route or even 6man. Their enrollment is fairly high compared to other 9man teams.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GJF85 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:55 pm

ndlions fan you do bring up a good point. There may have been opportunities in the past, but I'm guessing things just didn't work out.
Last edited by GJF85 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJF85
Joshua 1:9
ND High School Baseball & Softball Website in Progress
GJF85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Moving some discussion to this thread.

B-oldtimer wrote:We have better get used to schools having hard time fielding teams in the near future. The numbers of old where schools of this size can field a team are changing. Parents, kids, and even community at large is changing its attitude on football based on latest findings on injuries suffered from football. The Grand Forks Herald just had article on Larimore with their numbers this year for 9 man football they are down two reserves because of injuries and low participation numbers. They then went on to say that they are to return to 11 man football next year but because of numbers they are going to play 9 man independent schedule for next year. There neighboring school Midway/Minto also opted this year to 6 man football team. I think were just see the beginning of number of schools fighting to keep football viable sport in the future. This is not just happening here in North Dakota its happening all over the nation. I don't know how football is going to change to alleviate these fears but if nothing is done participation number will continue to decline.

Larimore will have low numbers no matter what next year, but having to include Emerado in their 7-10 male enrollment hurts them. Emerado is a K-8 school, but more than half of those kids end up going to GFC. Even if they could exclude Emerado they'd still have 11 man enrollment numbers.

Class B wrote:Perhaps we are destined for a revamped 4 class system. Class A, Class B 11 man, Class B 9 man and 6 man. Class B 11 man would be a consolidated AA and A as we currently know it with the top half of A teams staying 11 and the bottom half going 9 man.

I think there is always going to be 3 classes of 11 man.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby caserace0710 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Flip wrote:Larimore will have low numbers no matter what next year, but having to include Emerado in their 7-10 male enrollment hurts them. Emerado is a K-8 school, but more than half of those kids end up going to GFC. Even if they could exclude Emerado they'd still have 11 man enrollment numbers.

It appears that Larimore will be playing an Independent 9-man schedule for the upcoming plan. This bumps Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn back up to 11-man.

Other changes include:
  • Barnes County North will co-op with Valley City and will remain in AA
  • Our Redeemer's will co-op with Bishop Ryan and Bishop Ryan will remain in Class A (w/o having to opt-up)
  • Midkota will rejoin Griggs County Central in the co-op and will remain in 9-man
  • Two new 6-man teams have been added: Williston Trinity Christian and Drayton. I'd could see St. Thomas co-oping with Drayton.
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:53 pm

It seems to me that new football plan is going to have to be tweaked with all these changes happening. I wonder if we might see more schools looking at 6 man division instead staying in coop or if there numbers keep dropping. I have been looking at number of schools it seems the number Freshman playing are dropping on number school teams. Also these same schools have large senior and junior classes which means number out for football could drop significantly in next few years.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:21 am

caserace0710 wrote:
Flip wrote:Larimore will have low numbers no matter what next year, but having to include Emerado in their 7-10 male enrollment hurts them. Emerado is a K-8 school, but more than half of those kids end up going to GFC. Even if they could exclude Emerado they'd still have 11 man enrollment numbers.

It appears that Larimore will be playing an Independent 9-man schedule for the upcoming plan. This bumps Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn back up to 11-man.

Other changes include:
  • Our Redeemer's will co-op with Bishop Ryan and Bishop Ryan will remain in Class A (w/o having to opt-up)
  • Midkota will rejoin Griggs County Central in the co-op and will remain in 9-man
  • Two new 6-man teams have been added: Williston Trinity Christian and Drayton. I'd could see St. Thomas co-oping with Drayton.

This will affect quite a few teams. Does anyone know Standing Rock's plans? Are they still looking at staying with a JV schedule? I still have not heard what FW is planning on doing, but I cannot see them staying in 11man.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby caserace0710 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
caserace0710 wrote:

Other changes include:

This will affect quite a few teams. Does anyone know Standing Rock's plans? Are they still looking at staying with a JV schedule? I still have not heard what FW is planning on doing, but I cannot see them staying in 11man.

As of 9/14, Four Winds and Standing Rock are both playing independent/JV schedules. This now moves Kenmare/Bowbells/BC to 11-man.

With this change, 37 teams are now slated to play 9-man in the next cycle while 7 are playing 6-man. In my honest opinion, 37 is not a happy number. I'd say that either one team volunteers to go 6-man or the lowest adjusted enrollment 9-man school (Strasburg/Zeeland) moves to 6-man.
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:27 am

Do you think Trenton or Parshall move down to 6man with a decent number of teams in that area to play. I believe T/TC struggled with numbers before they split, can Trenton fill a roster alone?

I'm assuming S/Z is looking at travel if they dropped to 6man. No other teams in their area at all. They might consider a co-op with LHMB before going the 6man route, but I'm guessing its too late to work on that until the next plan comes out.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:31 am

caserace0710 wrote:With this change, 37 teams are now slated to play 9-man in the next cycle while 7 are playing 6-man. In my honest opinion, 37 is not a happy number. I'd say that either one team volunteers to go 6-man or the lowest adjusted enrollment 9-man school (Strasburg/Zeeland) moves to 6-man.

to my knowledge 6 man is independent from the NDHSAA. You can't make someone go to something that doesn't exist.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 am

I think 6 man football would be a tremendous addition for the NDHSAA to look at implementing fully. It would allow schools to field their own teams, instead of co-oping to have a chance of competing. As far as how many classes we need, how many teams should be in each class and how many regions they should be divided into, I don't have the answer. What is absolutely absurd to me is the fact that we rely solely on the number of boys in the high school to determine where you are placed. Past success, numbers on the football team, facilities, exceptionally low free and reduced percentages etc... should all be taken into account when assigning teams to divisions. Just my two cents.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:27 pm

The Schwab wrote:I think 6 man football would be a tremendous addition for the NDHSAA to look at implementing fully. It would allow schools to field their own teams, instead of co-oping to have a chance of competing. As far as how many classes we need, how many teams should be in each class and how many regions they should be divided into, I don't have the answer. What is absolutely absurd to me is the fact that we rely solely on the number of boys in the high school to determine where you are placed. Past success, numbers on the football team, facilities, exceptionally low free and reduced percentages etc... should all be taken into account when assigning teams to divisions. Just my two cents.

yep....
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:44 pm

caserace0710 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
caserace0710 wrote:

Other changes include:

As of 9/14, Four Winds and Standing Rock are both playing independent/JV schedules. This now moves Kenmare/Bowbells/BC to 11-man.

With this change, 37 teams are now slated to play 9-man in the next cycle while 7 are playing 6-man. In my honest opinion, 37 is not a happy number. I'd say that either one team volunteers to go 6-man or the lowest adjusted enrollment 9-man school (Strasburg/Zeeland) moves to 6-man.

New Town also just dropped to an Independent schedule...causing two ripples: Hazen moved up to AA & Tioga moved up to Class A
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:New Town also just dropped to an Independent schedule...causing two ripples: Hazen moved up to AA & Tioga moved up to Class A

If you have a 9 man enrollment you shouldn't be forced to play 11 man. If you're under XXX enrollment you should be 9 man no matter what. If 8 more A schools drop football are they going to force 8 more 9 man schools to play 11 man?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:New Town also just dropped to an Independent schedule...causing two ripples: Hazen moved up to AA & Tioga moved up to Class A

If you have a 9 man enrollment you shouldn't be forced to play 11 man. If you're under XXX enrollment you should be 9 man no matter what. If 8 more A schools drop football are they going to force 8 more 9 man schools to play 11 man?

I do not know...Just was informing this thread of the most recent change that came in last night.

What's even the 'definition' of a 9-man enrollment?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Football