Follow our blog on the Linton Lions

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Follow our blog on the Linton Lions

Postby dalmany » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 pm

THE ULTIMATE ROAD TRIP FOR A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL JUNKIE

Follow my blog: rollingdownhwy83.blogspot.com and come along for the ride!

You know you are coaching football at small high school IF you measure the quality of your victories against fast food franchises. Dan Imdieke, coach of the Linton, North Dakota Lions has compiled a 33 year record of 288-67. Last fall (2010), Linton traveled south to play the squad representing the much larger town of Mobridge, SD. Overcoming a two touchdown deficit in the 4th quarter, the Lions rallied for a 34-28 win. One excited Lion player informed the coach after the game that "they (Mobridge) have a McDonald's AND a Pizza Hut. We have beaten a lot of Dairy Queen towns, but never a McDonald's or a Pizza Hut, and they have both!!"

I have been contracted this fall to follow the fortunes of three long time dominant small high school football programs: Canadian, TX, McCook, NE and Linton, ND; as they strive towards the ultimate goal of any high school athlete: a state championship.

I wanted a random choice of towns, so I chose Highway 83 as my anchor. I will need no GPS to find my way on this journey, as US Highway 83 passes through each town, a common main street, linking all three. Call it the ultimate road trip for a high school football junkie. Highway 83 is the last non-interstate highway left in our federal transportation system that runs unimpeded from the Canadian to the Mexican border. Along its’ route I expect to find the “true” America- one of real people whose solid but common everyday lives never make the national news. I intend to record the human drama that is so unique, and so American, to small town high school athletics.

This story will form the second leg in a three part trilogy of books I will write on high school football. This edition of small town highway school football should be on the book shelves by June 2012. I expect a 180 degree difference in environment along rural Highway 83 from what I found at inner-city Roosevelt High School in St. Louis, MO, the team whose season I chronicled in 2008, the first book of this three part story. (www.stlhsfb.com).

What I expect to be no different in Linton, ND, McCook, NB and Canadian, TX, from what I found in St. Louis, MO, is the passion of teenagers to succeed, and the unqualified support of their family and community in that noble quest. So, if you are looking for me this fall, I can be found somewhere on US Highway 83 between Antler, North Dakota and Laredo, Texas.

Follow my blog rollingdownhwy83.blogspot.com and come along for the ride!
dalmany
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Football