How meaningful are football all-region/all state awards

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

How meaningful are football all-region/all state awards

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:01 pm

In following, I saw that 52 kids in 11B were named all state out of 40 teams - an average of over 1 per team.

49 9 man kids out of 46 teams - again an average of just over 1 per team.

71 kids in a 9 team 11B region made all-region or all-region honorable mention - almost 8 per team.

I get it, in football 9 or 11 kids play, but this seams so water downed to me. Also, on many teams, the best kids play both ways -

Class B basketball has about 100 teams - 15-17 kids make the all-state team. Typically 2 per region, sometimes 4, sometimes none. Its prestigious.

THOUGHTS?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Re: How meaningful are football all-region/all state awards

Postby NDPREP » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:50 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:In following, I saw that 52 kids in 11B were named all state out of 40 teams - an average of over 1 per team.

71 kids in a 9 team 11B region made all-region or all-region honorable mention - almost 8 per team.

I get it, in football 9 or 11 kids play, but this seams so water downed to me. Also, on many teams, the best kids play both ways -

Class B basketball has about 100 teams - 15-17 kids make the all-state team. Typically 2 per region, sometimes 4, sometimes none. Its prestigious.

THOUGHTS?

That is sort of a by product of 2 classes in basketball. Normally you would see 35-40 on an all state football team, 11 O 11D and some at larges. Being our classes don't have a ton of teams it MAY seem diluted.

3 class basketball you will see double the all state kids and half the teams per class. I think basketball ALWAYS has some notable snubs. especially with how limited it is.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:39 pm

I wonder how for Class B 9 Man they have 4 QB's, Multiple RB's and WR's on offense and only 3 or 4 O-lineman. I don't understand that, FB fans know the game is won or lost in the trenches most games. You would think they could add a few o-line (say 5 or 6 total).
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:04 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:In following, I saw that 52 kids in 11B were named all state out of 40 teams - an average of over 1 per team.

THOUGHTS?

I agree with your assessment. Seems to be too watered down to me on the football side.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ChickenNuggets » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:29 pm

In the 9-B division there were 14 schools that had a 1st Team All-State representative. There were an additional 8 schools that had a 2nd team representative. 22 total schools had an all-state player out of 40. 55% of the schools had an all-state player. I think if you want to know how much it means to be an all-stater, start by asking the coaches/players of the 45% of schools that didn't have one. I bet it would be pretty darn special to them.

The Dakota Bowl program stated that this year there were 3,876 participants state-wide in Football. There will be roughly 200 total All-State players in the 4 divisions of football combined. That's about 5% or 1 in 20 that makes he All-State team. That's reduced to about 1 in every 40 kids who makes 1st team All-State or the top 2.5% of all players playing the game. I don't think that's too watered down. Just my opinion.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:23 am

ChickenNuggets wrote:In the 9-B division there were 14 schools that had a 1st Team All-State representative. There were an additional 8 schools that had a 2nd team representative. 22 total schools had an all-state player out of 40. 55% of the schools had an all-state player. I think if you want to know how much it means to be an all-stater, start by asking the coaches/players of the 45% of schools that didn't have one. I bet it would be pretty darn special to them.

The Dakota Bowl program stated that this year there were 3,876 participants state-wide in Football. There will be roughly 200 total All-State players in the 4 divisions of football combined. That's about 5% or 1 in 20 that makes he All-State team. That's reduced to about 1 in every 40 kids who makes 1st team All-State or the top 2.5% of all players playing the game. I don't think that's too watered down. Just my opinion.

100 Class B bball teams. 13 kids per team give or take = 1300 kids give or take.

15 all staters. 1.1% of kids make the team. That is prestigious.

5% isn't.

5 first teamers in bball = .4%. REALLY PRESTIGOUS.

IMO
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:52 am

More Quantitative Data
Football: 11 players on the field
Basketball: 5 players on a court

More Football All-State Players than Basketball - Logical (to me)

Being All-State, in the eyes of the athlete, is very important no matter how much you want to discredit the numbers.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:58 pm

WalkingStick wrote:More Quantitative Data
Football: 11 players on the field
Basketball: 5 players on a court

More Football All-State Players than Basketball - Logical (to me)

Being All-State, in the eyes of the athlete, is very important no matter how much you want to discredit the numbers.

If you took the time to look at my input, you'll see that I very clearly stated that more men are on the field in football than on the court in bball. Hence more football all-staters than basketball is OF COURSE logical. never said it wasn't.

1 in 20 players in ND is all-state? Seems like the old philosophy of a medal for everyone. 71 all region players out of 9 teams? Its almost like you stick out if you AREN'T all-region, not if you ARE.

It can mean the world to the athletes who are awarded. Didn't say it shouldn't. If so, I'm glad it does. Doesn't mean it has to to me.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:08 pm

Um...my post was directed to all not you Wallenda...if it was directed at you I would have quoted your posts.

All-State is meaningful. All-Region is less meaningful to me for football cause you add in honorable mentions as well.

Basketball is set at 15 for Regions & State (plus ties).

You, do, also have to realize who is voting on these as well.
Basketball All-State is by the NDAPSSA; Football is by the coaches (I believe).
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:36 pm

Class B basketball has about 100 teams - 15-17 kids make the all-state team. Typically 2 per region, sometimes 4, sometimes none. Its prestigious. A nearby high school recently had 38 seniors on its A honor roll in a class of 53.

THOUGHTS?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:56 pm

A nearby high school recently posted the names of 38 seniors that were named to their A honor roll from a class of 53.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby In_the_Know » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:19 pm

I completely agree football awards are watered down. How does Williston and Watford city have any all conference picks let alone 4 each? Watford city beat Turtle Mountain (1-9) and Horace (0-7). Williston's only wins were against Watford City (2-7) and Dickinson (4-6). Dickinson's wins were against 4 teams with a combined record of 5-29.

Just giving awards for mediocrity now.
In_the_Know
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:24 am

leroybla wrote:A nearby high school recently posted the names of 38 seniors that were named to their A honor roll from a class of 53.

Well did 38/53 have A’s?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:57 am

In_the_Know wrote:I completely agree football awards are watered down. How does Williston and Watford city have any all conference picks let alone 4 each? Watford city beat Turtle Mountain (1-9) and Horace (0-7). Williston's only wins were against Watford City (2-7) and Dickinson (4-6). Dickinson's wins were against 4 teams with a combined record of 5-29.

Every school gets a guaranteed 1-2 all conference picks and 2 honorable mention. Honorable mention just means your coach liked you enough to get you on. Each level has a set number,1st place 8, 2nd place 7 etc etc.

Football All State is voted on by coaches from the pool of all region players that were selected. Honorable mentions are not eligible for all state awards.

Basketball I assume has the same ALL Region voting, all state being handled by the press association is voted on different.

Baseball has the same process, a set number per region finisher and each region is guranteeed 2 spots on the all state ballot.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:55 pm

In_the_Know wrote:I completely agree football awards are watered down. How does Williston and Watford city have any all conference picks let alone 4 each? Watford city beat Turtle Mountain (1-9) and Horace (0-7). Williston's only wins were against Watford City (2-7) and Dickinson (4-6). Dickinson's wins were against 4 teams with a combined record of 5-29.

And if I recall correctly Jeff Bentrim didn't win a single game his senior year of high school. The best player in the state could play for a team that doesn't win a single game. Are you saying that means he isn't an all state player. If you are, I would say you don't have a clue. All-State is an individual award. Your teammates can help you look better, or they can make you look like your aren't as good as you are.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Return to Football