Mr. Hockey Candidates Thread

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mr. Hockey Candidates Thread

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:23 pm

Wurden is in Sioux City playing for the Musketeers.
The finalists for Outstanding Senior Athlete are to include the East Sr player of the year and the West Sr player of the year so there will not be more than 2 finalists from the same school, if that is even a possibility.
At this point, I have to think everyone pretty much agrees on Meland (RR)?.?.?
Schaefer (RR) has really come on strong the past 2 weeks. I see the NDhighschoolhockey site is not up to date, it could be possible that Schaefer has more points than Meland. That top line from Red River is real fun to watch. All score sheets are not in from all teams, but they are currently the top 3 point getters in the state (Russel Crary their linemate)

LaDouceur (RR)
Galbreath (RR)
Groth (South)
Hooey (South)

From the west:
Some on here seem to think Kline from Mandan deserves to be mentioned. It sounds like he should be. If Mandan would turn in their scoresheets to the HS site, we could see more accurately what his numbers are. Currently missing 6 game sheets at least according to the site.
Eichele (BHS) definitely will garner some consideration playing on arguably the top team in the West.

Anyone else?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Sportshound wrote:Herbal--was very good, He wasn't the only player they had at Botno.
obviously they had some guys to throw him the puck. he did score a ton, and was also a factor in any of their games.
he was over-all the best player, that did the most for his team, that made difference when he was on the ice(which in Botno's case--all the time).
hockeyhigh-- Wurden was good but not that good, he had supporting cast of some very good players, he just happened to be ont he ice a ton.
he probably could have done more for his team had he gotten some rests-just a thought(after watching EDC and State last year)- he got tired very early in the 3rd periods of many of those games, and couldn't use his skills later in the game.

herbal- played a ton, but he also put up big numbers vs, some teams in the west that were, by standards below the #6-7-8 teams in the east.

Wurden put up big numbers, played extremely well with the exuberant amount of ice time he got, and had true post-high school hockey intentions. I find him much more of a better candidate for this award than Herbel. Also, honestly, having 'better teamates' is a horrible argument considering the huge differential skill-wise between the West and the East (not trying to rip on the west, but it's obvious it's a problem). Heck, a good example of this is McBain. As a sophomore he put up the highest point total in the state. A SOPHOMORE! He played for a team with little to no outside talent, and he was able to win them a few games due to his scoring ability. Now, he transfered to Fargo South the next year, and look where he is now. He got a few points the last few years, but he really hasn't done anything that makes him stand out more than anyone else in the east. This is a perfect example of why I think the choice last year was a bad one. Not saying this same thing would have happened with Herbel had he done it, but it easily could have.
Herbel was good, yes. Wurden was a more fitting decision for the award.
Anyways, it's just that the 'his teamates got him those points' doesn't fit this situation. If it were East vs. East I may change my opinion.
Meh, it's almost a full year after the fact and I don't know why I'm arguing my opinion on it. :roll:

Additionally, I'd put any cash I can find on Meland winning the award this year, and I even doubt a flawed voting system can bypass that.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 pm

didn't say he was not good-he was good-- just could have done more if not tired-my opinion sorry if it offended you
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 am

Ya because Herbel is dang good! he didnt have the team around him and look what he did! I am gussing Wurden couldnt have done that with that Bott. team. the only reason i say Eichle is because his team has only lost 1 game so i figured just throw him out there???

I was moreso responding to Saucesauer in the above quote, sorry if I came off harsh Sportshound. I just like people getting credit where credit is due, and my opinion on last years Mr. Hockey is slightly annoyed that a player so good didn't receive it.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:39 am

Ok- then carry on.
thank you
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Ya because Herbel is dang good! he didnt have the team around him and look what he did! I am gussing Wurden couldnt have done that with that Bott. team. the only reason i say Eichle is because his team has only lost 1 game so i figured just throw him out there???

I was moreso responding to Saucesauer in the above quote, sorry if I came off harsh Sportshound. I just like people getting credit where credit is due, and my opinion on last years Mr. Hockey is slightly annoyed that a player so good didn't receive it.

I will say 2 things about last years mr hockey and than you can whine some more and that is that better player recieved it in herbel, and you can complaine all you want but WHO HAS THE AWARD? bottem line!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 pm

And I have a question. Where is he now?
Honestly the award is meaningless, and I don't believe the better player got the award last year. If Meland doesn't receive it this year, I'd be even more confused though.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:44 pm

sauce and HH-- you both have an opinion.
good for this forum that you do.
you both know hockey and have passion--good too.....

now let's talk this year:
sioux4ever has it listed as this: and they seem to be good Sr. picks
Meland- F- GFRR
Ladoucer- D-GFRR
Groth-F-F.South
Hooey-F-F.South
* all these guys from the East
Kline-G-Mandan
Eichle-G-BHS
*both goalies from the West- Hmm
sioux4ever also puts his two cents in that the WEST -Sr. Athlete of the year, & the EAST-Athlete of the year are considered automatically(East for Sure Meland/ West not sure-)

Any ideas out there:
will BHS- Send up Labare?
will Mandan-send out Haugen or Martin?
will BCH- send up anyone? do not think there is anyone there?

will the East have some others?
Will WF- send up Keller(G)?
will GPR- send up a Sr.- Peterson-(D)?-- most of what I see are Jr's in GPR
will North-send up Bekkadahl(F)?
will Devils Lake-send up any one of there Sr's?

Lot of things to chew on for the next couple of weeks.
When do they announce Candidates? When do they announce All-WDA selections, All- EDC selections?
Maybe that will help understand the Mr.Hockey thing.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:34 pm

Answered your own question Sportshound. At EDC and WDA. :oops:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Ok that sounds good.

Didn't know the specifics on when and etc.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:57 pm

Any news here? anyone have an inside scoop to the candidates.
I know we all speculated here on the thread for a few months.
Now it is getting close. I think that some of the Pre-season picks have held up their ratings.
most have anyways
some have fallen (kind of like the "Heisman"watch every year) early on they maybe had an edge, but now have been overshadowed some.

I liked my candidates Pre-season picks and think they might(most of them) get selected to represent their schools as candidates.

anyone else
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Just seeing if anyone has any word on candidates, and if they were chosen for the MR.Hockey award?
I know the WDA- West region player fo the Yr. & EDC and EAst player of the Yr. are announced later this week.
So nothing gets posted before the EDC or WDA?

I read on another thread about some ND All State All Senior team that was announced?
Anyone find that - they said North Dakota Hockey Online. No luck finding yet
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:07 pm

I know they announced the Mn mr.hockey finalists but not word on ND. IM guessing Meland from RR and another guy from the east and prolly bismarks goalie from the west.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:33 pm

gfhockey wrote:I know they announced the Mn mr.hockey finalists but not word on ND. IM guessing Meland from RR and another guy from the east and prolly bismarks goalie from the west.

If it is the same as years past, it will be announced the week of the state tournament.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND Football Guy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Sportshound wrote:Just seeing if anyone has any word on candidates, and if they were chosen for the MR.Hockey award?
I know the WDA- West region player fo the Yr. & EDC and EAst player of the Yr. are announced later this week.
So nothing gets posted before the EDC or WDA?

I read on another thread about some ND All State All Senior team that was announced?
Anyone find that - they said North Dakota Hockey Online. No luck finding yet

Here's the website I think you're talking about :

http://www.icetimend.info/Home_Page.php

Here's their selections in this month's edition

ND High School Boys All-Senior Team!

Goalie: Drew Eichele, Bismarck
Goalie: Pat Arnason, Grand Forks Red River

Defense: Ryan LaDouceur, Grand Forks Red River
Defense: Jarrett Galbreath, Grand Forks Red River
Defense: Patrick Bair, Mandan
Defense: Peter Brekke, Grand Forks Red River
Defense: Billy Peterson, Grafton-Park River
Defense: Jared LaBere, Bismarck High

Forward: Eric Meland, Grand Forks Red River
Forward: Nick Schaefer, Grand Forks Red River
Forward: Pat Thomas, Fargo Shanley
Forward: Caleb Haugen, Mandan
Forward: Andrew Seeberg, Bismarck
Forward: Cole Geis, Bismarck
Forward: Jeff Kaiser, Dickinson
Forward: Joey Paulus, Bismarck Century
Forward: Tyler Groth, Fargo South
Forward: Andrew Vigen, Grand Forks Red River
Forward: Tanner Anderson, Grafton-Park River
Forward: Alex Simonson, Grand Forks Red River
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:39 pm

No that's not it!!!
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:37 pm

OldSchool wrote:No that's not it!!!

Unless something has changed, this is an independent poll or some sorts for the all-senior team. In the past, all-edc, all-wda and all-state are polled on by coaches and announced at EDC, WDA, and State. Maybe I am wrong.....

Same with the Most Outstanding Senior awards, they are announced at EDC, WDA, and the the state outstanding senior award announced saturday at state. I am sure this is not news to anyone who is involved with hockey or watched it in the past.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hbstars7 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:01 am

There are a couple good people we played against this year but shanleys Pat Thomas really impressed me...i would have to say he is a canidate...from the teams we played
hbstars7

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:57 am

Just heard who the candidates were but not supposed to ssay intil the press release is out. sorry guys but i can say its prolly who you think it is going to be is one fo the finalist.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:04 am

So You know--gfhockey?
Hmmmm they will announce the Candidates, and will not do that until the State finals?

But you know already? Do you vote?

So we can assume-- or heck we know that two of them are: Labare and Ladoucer
other ones should be- Meland, Groth, Eichle, Seeburg, Kline, maybe Rehak?

Is that a fair assumption? how many do they name? 5? or 6?
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 am

all the votes were recieved by last nite. got a guy who i know who works on the inside. the guy who wins it will know before hand i believe. like before saturday i think. prolly during friday night.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:35 am

There are 4 players. sorry i cant leak out any more info. my friend could get in very big trouble.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Ok so now we know that at least two are from the EDC-- one from the WDA
assuming-- this:
Candidates:
Ladoucer- player of the Year EDC
Labare- WDA player of the year
Meland --has to be one of them- as the leading pt getter in the state
?????? 4th spot ??????????- who is this one?

Is it EDC player or WDA player?
does it have to be twoEDC/ two WDA?

so the 4th slot is a up for grabs--
Could it be? one of these 3 guys? It should be from this group, I would assume.
Groth- F. South
Eichle- BHS
Kline- Mandan **those are still my possibles.... but then again I got three so far
out of the 4.

Minnesota has 10 finalists? seems like an honor just to be mentioned, maybe ND should look at expanding. What do they give-- a certificate or a plaque. no matter.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Last year i believe there were 3 from the east and 1 from the west. I think Mn has 10 because they have 10 times more teams then we do.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby ButtonsTheClown » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Nobody mentioned from GPR? C'mon...they have 3 or four that should be considered. How about Shaefer from RR? There's also a kid from J'town that like 5th or 6th in the state scoring. Arneson should be mentioned, so should 14 from Fargo south
ButtonsTheClown
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey