2007-2008 ND Hockey

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:52 pm

Hockey season is about a month and a half away. Just starting up a fresh topic to try and spur some talk.

Since the season hasn't started, it'd seem, Red River is the team to beat this year. They lost very few players last year and beat a great team loaded with Seniors from Fargo South. Will South be able to reload to face Red River again this year, or who will be the team(s) to take them on?
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:51 am

Red River and South again!

'unless RR goes down to Grafton?

Reload at south--

South's top 3 returners  looks like: Powers- (#4 in scoring 40+pts in 06-07 for the Bruins), Hooey-  (#6 in scoring  22 pts,)  Groth (#7 in scoring 21 pts)- 

yes they lost #2Wurden, #1McDougal, #3doeden, #5Graalum all in the scoring column.

but they had that same thing the yr. before with #1-Wesigarber, #4-larson, #3-Campbell, #7-ramberg,#2-Galt, #-8 spriggs,  jorgenson all graduated.

I think the Fargo south has such a good pipeline-  the Flyers Club, teaching good hockey that they souldn't fall off any yr. no real cycles. kind of like RR.

good luck to all you in the East. tough playing South two times each yr.

"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby LB21 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 am

Reload or Recruit? 

2007 Narveson from North, Burdick from WF.  2006 McBane from Hazen.  2005  Graalum from Shanley, Anderson from WF. 

Red River will be your state champ again unless Grafton can pull the upset.  South will implode again.  Chemistry and selfish play will make them a distant third.
LB21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:51 pm

LB21 wrote:Reload or Recruit? 

2007 Narveson from North, Burdick from WF.  2006 McBane from Hazen.  2005  Graalum from Shanley, Anderson from WF. 

Red River will be your state champ again unless Grafton can pull the upset.  South will implode again.  Chemistry and selfish play will make them a distant third.

Although Sportshound kinda bit off more than he can chew, would you consider Fargo South to be recruiting, or are players seeing better opportunity and chance at a state title with Fargo South rather than their home teams. All the players you listed came from towns that, hate to say it, have little or no chance of winning a state championship (West Fargo, Hazen, North, Shanley). Not bashing these hockey programs, they trained some these players to where they are now, but they made a choice to go to a more storied program. Looking at South without the recent transfers reveal they still have a very solid team, if only lacking in small areas (This year would be defense, not many senior D for South). This probably led to the transfer of aforementioned players.

I do agree that team chemistry and selfishness will play a large role in how Fargo South does this year, as it did last year. I believe it was on this forum that I read someone say "Players transfering is selfishness, selfishness leads to losses." A quote similar to that. I think this was reflected in Fargo South last year where they struggled a lot with selfishness, they seemed to pull it together for EDC (Destroying the brackets) but lost that and played for themselves during state. I think that'll be the determinant in South's ranking this year also. A big step that FS will have to overcome, while Red River and Grafton (South's competition) will not have to face.

In response to Sportshound, I wouldn't say it's just RR worrying about Grafton, I think Fargo South and Grafton are about on par this year (Fargo south just slightly ahead) as of now, Red River being above them both by a slight margin also. It's going to be a huge fight for the #1 #2 and #3 spots, but with the obvious favorite as of now being Red River. (But at the same time last year, many people thought South was the huge favorite, until the first game of South v. Red River. South dominated through the first part of their season against some of the best teams in MN and collapsed against RR)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:11 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
LB21 wrote:Reload or Recruit? 

Although Sportshound kinda bit off more than he can chew, would you consider Fargo South to be recruiting, or are players seeing better opportunity and chance at a state title with Fargo South rather than their home teams. All the players you listed came from towns that, hate to say it, have little or no chance of winning a state championship (West Fargo, Hazen, North, Shanley). Not bashing these hockey programs, they trained some these players to where they are now, but they made a choice to go to a more storied program. Looking at South without the recent transfers reveal they still have a very solid team, if only lacking in small areas (This year would be defense, not many senior D for South). This probably led to the transfer of aforementioned players.

I do agree that team chemistry and selfishness will play a large role in how Fargo South does this year, as it did last year. I believe it was on this forum that I read someone say "Players transfering is selfishness, selfishness leads to losses." A quote similar to that. I think this was reflected in Fargo South last year where they struggled a lot with selfishness, they seemed to pull it together for EDC (Destroying the brackets) but lost that and played for themselves during state. I think that'll be the determinant in South's ranking this year also. A big step that FS will have to overcome, while Red River and Grafton (South's competition) will not have to face.

In response to Sportshound, I wouldn't say it's just RR worrying about Grafton, I think Fargo South and Grafton are about on par this year (Fargo south just slightly ahead) as of now, Red River being above them both by a slight margin also. It's going to be a huge fight for the #1 #2 and #3 spots, but with the obvious favorite as of now being Red River. (But at the same time last year, many people thought South was the huge favorite, until the first game of South v. Red River. South dominated through the first part of their season against some of the best teams in MN and collapsed against RR)
i agree saw an oppurtunity to play with a team that competes for state every year
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:45 pm

Only problem with that is, it takes the focus off the team and adds selfishness to teams, these transfers may bring South additional skill, but last year it seemed to do a lot of harm, even though they still had a great season.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:54 am

Good Points Hockey High.

This is how I see it. Transfers can and will always cause problems. It is up to the team, the attitude of that/those transfer player(s), to fit into a role with the team they are moving to. Then-- Expand that role when the timing is right, and it helps the team.

Not sure how many South players were transfers in--  mentioned were- Graalum, Anderson, McBain from last year.

Those guys probably would have been better served staying the course at their last school. I think though--   Graalum and Anderson played together with P. Weisgarber, Larson, Campbell, Ramberg and Spriggs(2005-06 South guys)-- in Youth hockey.I think I remember the Bantam A State Tourney-- But they lost to Minot-  and The Fargo South Bantams were 3rd place.  

McBain had no ties to Fargo South or the players, so it of course was only for Hockey that he left Hazen. We heard that his family didn't move-- he lived with his grandma, to play at South.

Not much mentioned about him last year. Yes- saw him play in the State Tourney, just not as effective in the South scheme, as if he would have been staying in Hazen. Heck didn't he have 60 pts in Hazen?? But then again that is him playing all the time, getting all the pucks and being the only player to be a threat for Hazen.

Not the same role in South's talented roster.

As I said above transfers usually have a tough time, especially those within State lines or metro areas, fitting the role for the new team.

South may find that out with the new kids for this year.

Narveson-Good player, Burdick- good when at West Fargo- not proven in another scheme, McBain- not proven, in fact would be better playing in the West, (we need a scorer out here.)

South and Grafton and RR--  should be top three in East.

Hockey High-- Right on  when stating--  Transfering (especially within State or community for Hockey or sport) is selfish, and can lead to selfishness.

They have it in GF also-- how will RR guys--  fit the Simonsin kid in? He was going to be the Man at GF Central--  last yr. and this yr.. But he leaves GFC for RR.

So Hockey has that Pull and tug-o-war on kids. They want to leave a non-contender for a contender. Sometimes it is a wrong move, for all concerned(team, School, player and teammates- heck even the Coach), as things seem to never work out as a fairy tale--all roses...

South has how many Burdick, Narveson--  who else has transfers in the State-- especially for Hockey like these guys did-- or GF RR Simonsin did?

HMM??? Nobody--

well South Champs-2006

HMMM---  Red River Champs 2007

HMMM---    Good luck to the guys transfering, it might be tough to see the puck, Especially in GFRR case--   They have three solid lines don't they?

And at South-- No returning D-Men-- So those two might fair better-- but still have to battle South Returning JV guys and etc. for spots.

To  all the players Good luck.

"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:22 am

HockeyHigh wrote:Only problem with that is, it takes the focus off the team and adds selfishness to teams, these transfers may bring South additional skill, but last year it seemed to do a lot of harm, even though they still had a great season.

It doesn't take transfers to cause selfishness...the only transfer at South last year was McBain and he was forced to play JV most of the season
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Baller wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:Only problem with that is, it takes the focus off the team and adds selfishness to teams, these transfers may bring South additional skill, but last year it seemed to do a lot of harm, even though they still had a great season.

It doesn't take transfers to cause selfishness...the only transfer at South last year was McBain and he was forced to play JV most of the season

However, a large amount of the team was out of other cities (even if earlier in their time playing hockey, for other reasons). I think McBain was the only one that came to South for hockey primarily, several others were moved to South also (Anderson, Wurden, Graalum, etc) weren't originally from Fargo. Of course this isn't for hockey and kind of pushes the meaning a bit. You are right that it's mainly the players themselves that cause selfishness, but I think that transfering (such as in some of these cases) just for hockey is not about the team, it's about the player. This would emphasize selfishness, imo.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:45 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Baller wrote:

However, a large amount of the team was out of other cities (even if earlier in their time playing hockey, for other reasons). I think McBain was the only one that came to South for hockey primarily, several others were moved to South also (Anderson, Wurden, Graalum, etc) weren't originally from Fargo. Of course this isn't for hockey and kind of pushes the meaning a bit. You are right that it's mainly the players themselves that cause selfishness, but I think that transfering (such as in some of these cases) just for hockey is not about the team, it's about the player. This would emphasize selfishness, i
 the way im looking at it is these kids are the only good players on their old team and think that if they transfer to that school that they would help the school win and be great,sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:28 am

Transfers need to know their roles, and only start to break into doing their own thing when the team lets them.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:29 pm

brownbomber wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:
Baller wrote:

However, a large amount of the team was out of other cities (even if earlier in their time playing hockey, for other reasons). I think McBain was the only one that came to South for hockey primarily, several others were moved to South also (Anderson, Wurden, Graalum, etc) weren't originally from Fargo. Of course this isn't for hockey and kind of pushes the meaning a bit. You are right that it's mainly the players themselves that cause selfishness, but I think that transfering (such as in some of these cases) just for hockey is not about the team, it's about the player. This would emphasize selfishness, i
 the way im looking at it is these kids are the only good players on their old team and think that if they transfer to that school that they would help the school win and be great,sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt
I agree, it's just in the past, South specifically has had trouble with team cohesion, so this could be another spark to the fire, good or bad. It works or it doesn't.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 am

Just Saw this:  Midwest high school Elite Hockey league

these guys are doing very well:

North Dakota should be proud: These Sr. and others that play on Elite Team

Eric Meland(Red River)    12g/15a/27     #1 on the team   #10 overall in League

ladoucer(red river)          2g/10a/12    #48  overall in league

simonsin(now RR)            3g/9a/12     #50  overall

Schaefer(RR)                    8g/3a/11     #63 overall

Groth(Fargo South)          4g/6a/10       #65 overall

Powers(fargo south)        4g/3a/7    

Galbreath(RR)                   0g/4a/4

others: juniors

Demers(Grafton)              6g/7a/13   #47 overall

Narveson(now South)       2g/6a/8   #80 overall

Hills(grafton)                     1g/3a/4

That is 7 players from ND in the Top 80 in Scoring in the Midwest HS Elite League.

that is very good. against top competition.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockey11 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Sportshound wrote:Just Saw this:  Midwest high school Elite Hockey league

these guys are doing very well:

North Dakota should be proud: These Sr. and others that play on Elite Team

Eric Meland(Red River)    12g/15a/27     #1 on the team   #10 overall in League

ladoucer(red river)          2g/10a/12    #48  overall in league

simonsin(now RR)            3g/9a/12     #50  overall

Schaefer(RR)                    8g/3a/11     #63 overall

Groth(Fargo South)          4g/6a/10       #65 overall

Powers(fargo south)        4g/3a/7    

Galbreath(RR)                   0g/4a/4

others: juniors

Demers(Grafton)              6g/7a/13   #47 overall

Narveson(now South)       2g/6a/8   #80 overall

Hills(grafton)                     1g/3a/4

That is 7 players from ND in the Top 80 in Scoring in the Midwest HS Elite League.

that is very good. against top competition.

Dont forget about Red River goaltender Pat Arnason. Throughout the Elite League season he is currently 6th out of 17 goalies. Shows he can still put up good numbers against alot better competetion then he gets in ND hockey.

Arnason(RR) SV% 87 GAA 4.2
ndhockey11

Postby Sportshound » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:21 am

Oh sorry for that.

Arnason is a good Goalie. one of the best in the state at this age grp.

Some others at Goalie may play better at most times, and Arnason, does have , or did have a good team in front of him last yr.

As will be his case again this year.

He is ranked pretty high, And probably will get some looks after HS season.

Maybe even get asked to move to a Jr. Team in the spring, if demonstrates a high Level of Focus(sometimes lacking) and lowering the GAA. he has a good line of stats for the elite league. but is trailing the likes of-- some others in the age grp.

A couple of the best goalies are not even in the Elite league this yr(played last yr)- Hjelle (I.Falls- in USHL), Crandle(St. thomas Ac- in USHL).

for the Elite league it is high caliber of players on all teams, so yes his numbers are pretty good.

he went to the U17's USA Festival this year, didn't he? saw somewhere that he did well there also.

RR, South, Grafton--  Boy say no more for the State by way of Hockey-- those teams have the horses-- all three will be deep.

Grafton -because of the talent and will to play hard against big schools.Top Notch Competitors- Demers,peterson, anderson, boyle.

south- because, how do you now have a good team yr. in yr. out with the numbers they train in fargo, and have at south. talent poll is awesome!- Top notch players:Hooey, powers, Groth, Narveson.

RR-  same thing-- as south. tons of players to choose from, and the best get on a team and when coahed well--  Do awesome! Top notch kids-- Meland, Schaefer, Ladoucer.

Most teams in the state can count 1 or 2 in the category of top Notch-- these teams have the ones listed and a few more-- that would be if not on these teams, but playing elsewhere in the State.

The ones listed here could, should go on to playing after their HS years. most of them have the moxi, I think.

Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: 2007-2008 ND Hockey

Postby Gman1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:40 am

i still think RR is the team to beat until someone knocks them off lets face it they always find a way to win when it comes to tournament time they are just that good. Melland should win Mr.hockey him or i could see ladoucer winning it also they have a good coach in malm and good goaltending in arneson they have three solid lines the top two defensemen in the state yeah give them the trophy right now and everyone else play for second
Gman1

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:42 pm

Gman, that's a pretty bold statement for the beginning of the season. Extremism at its best. :roll:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:07 am

Gman1 wrote:i still think RR is the team to beat until someone knocks them off lets face it they always find a way to win when it comes to tournament time they are just that good. Melland should win Mr.hockey him or i could see ladoucer winning it also they have a good coach in malm and good goaltending in arneson they have three solid lines the top two defensemen in the state yeah give them the trophy right now and everyone else play for second

Its true did they even lose a starter i think they lost like 2 third liners they return a ton and south did lose a little bit and lets not forget was it 7-1 RR when they played late in the season
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
Gman1 wrote:i still think RR is the team to beat until someone knocks them off lets face it they always find a way to win when it comes to tournament time they are just that good. Melland should win Mr.hockey him or i could see ladoucer winning it also they have a good coach in malm and good goaltending in arneson they have three solid lines the top two defensemen in the state yeah give them the trophy right now and everyone else play for second

Its true did they even lose a starter i think they lost like 2 third liners they return a ton and south did lose a little bit and lets not forget was it 7-1 RR when they played late in the season

I think the actual score was 8-0, and the shots were supposedly about even. Diechert was a seive. :oops: RR just found out that he was a headcase and if you slipped one by him he let them all in.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:01 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

I think the actual score was 8-0, and the shots were supposedly about even. Diechert was a seive. :oops: RR just found out that he was a headcase and if you slipped one by him he let them all in.
i dont care 8 buff is an ace kickin and RR didnt lose squat but south lost some ya know
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Gman1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:14 pm

yeah well they are the defending state champions with everyone back i just dont think that anyone will knock them off during playoff time
Gman1

Postby Sportshound » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:12 pm

In my opinion--
RR is the fav'
South is a close 2nd as well as Grafton.
Devils lake-- lost to much to pull out an upset.
others in the east have no bench or depth period.
hey-- now do not forget that south won the EDC tourney last yr.(beat RR in champ game)

out west we still have nothing to count on to help win a title at the state level.

let's play hockey
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brownbomber » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:33 pm

does anyone know how jamestown and dl turned out?
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby 666 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:05 am

brownbomber wrote:does anyone know how jamestown and dl turned out?

DL will be relying on Defense of Heit Reardon and Greene and the Goalkeeping of Groves and most of the offense will have to come from Byrum Hanson Roed and Hanke so i think that they will be pretty good but after those players it is uncertain for depth of the team im sure Henry will figure something out tho he always does.

Postby Gman1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:36 am

hey what does everyone think of these kids switching schools. Narveson and simonson just to name a few
Gman1

Next

Return to Hockey