popular sports

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Clark17 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:33 pm

I know this has been discussed before but as I look at the most popular sports to talk about in this site I see class A boys basketball as the # 1 topic and it irritates me for some reason.  North Dakota NBC coverage of the state hockey tournament irritates me as well.  I believe they show respective EDC and WDA tournaments but don't show the first day of the state boys hockey tournament?  How about when North Dakota Fox used to televise the WDA when it occurred in Bismarck.  NBC North Dakota, from what I have heard, raised the flag because of their exclusive rights to televising NDHSAA sanctioned events.  Can we change this? 
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:57 am

they don't televise the EDC and the only state tournament that gets first day coverage is the class B basketball tourneys which also frustrates me a little bit.  If they are going to do it for one, it should be the same acroos the board.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Clark17 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:36 am

They don't televise the first round of the class A girls and boys basketball tourn?  I sure thought they did, I must be imagining things.  I do agree, NBC should be consistent with their coverage.  Show all the first round games.  I guess NBC has to draw the line somewhere, I just wish it wasn't the first round of the boys hockey tourn.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:13 am

Clark17 wrote:They don't televise the first round of the class A girls and boys basketball tourn?  I sure thought they did, I must be imagining things.  I do agree, NBC should be consistent with their coverage.  Show all the first round games.  I guess NBC has to draw the line somewhere, I just wish it wasn't the first round of the boys hockey tourn.

They can't show EDC, WDA, or first round state A basketball because there are 8 games (4 girls and 4 boys on the same day).  You can't pick and choose what games get on and which ones don't.  They should broadcast the first round at state hockey though.  Its not that hard and it wouldn't be any more work.  I do think that NBC should stick to BBall and let another network do hockey, as that was a horrible broadcast this year.
Last edited by Stromer on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brownbomber » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:51 pm

Stromer wrote:
Clark17 wrote:They don't televise the first round of the class A girls and boys basketball tourn?  I sure thought they did, I must be imagining things.  I do agree, NBC should be consistent with their coverage.  Show all the first round games.  I guess NBC has to draw the line somewhere, I just wish it wasn't the first round of the boys hockey tourn.

They can't show EDC, WDA, or first round state A basketball because there are 8 games (4 girls and 4 boys on the same day).  You can't pick and choose what games get on and which ones don't.  They should broadcast the first round at state hockey though.  Its not that hard and it wouldn't be any more work.  I do think that NBC should stick to BBall and let another network do hockey, as that was a horrible broadcast this year.

i agree it wasnt that good
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby nd0606 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm

More people need to watch the State Tournament...to get more games on TV...I would love to see them get some more games on TV...it would even be really nice if they could get some regular season games on TV like FSN does for Minnesota games...you know some good reg. season games they could put on would be like:

GFC vs. RR...Minot vs. Bismarck...Fargo South vs. Moorhead...I dunno...it would be cool to have some of the big ND games on tv..even though we doubt it will happen..
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby Clark17 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:24 pm

Didn't they show the respective first rounds when the girls season was in the fall?
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:37 pm

Clark17 wrote:Didn't they show the respective first rounds when the girls season was in the fall?

I assume were on the BBall subject, then quite possibly.  I know it took a long time for Girls B to be on the first day but class A might have been on for a while before that.  The season swithc screwed everything up for VBall.  What a joke!
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hcky1616 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:51 am

If memory serves some posts from last year when the State Hockey coverage conflicted with Olympics,  a discussion was that NBC is granted an exclusive for NDHSAA events, but they are only allowed to pre-empt the national broadcasts so many times a year. It is NBC's choice what to cover based on their popularity perception and the potential advertising dollars. It would be nice if they could use the cable broadcasts like they do for home Sioux games.
hcky1616

Postby gfhockey » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 am

I think they should get abc to do it. pats sweenys is about as experienced as they come in doing hockey.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Clark17 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:25 pm

I guess I would be happy with any of the networks if they covered three days.  Sweeny does a good job, I agree.  Maybe FSSN could cover it?  For some reason ABC (WDAZ) has never come in real clear via cable broadcast, not sure why.  Has anyone else experienced the same?  I also like the championship and the third place games back to back like it used to be.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjay » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:34 pm

nobody watches...therefore they lose money...that's why they're not televised.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:37 pm

Does FSSN reach the whole state?
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Clark17 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Not sure. 
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:28 pm

gfhockey wrote:Does FSSN reach the whole state?

Um since it is brodcast on a midcontinent channel, i would say it only reaches areas that have midco cable.  I don't really think that all of the west or possibly any of the west get their cable through midco.  So brodcasting on midco, while I am sure those minnesota fans would love to see ND hockey, would prob not be a good option.  They need to have it on NBC but bring in some announcers that can actually brodcast a hockey game.  The ones they have are good for bball, but thats where their expertise ends.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 am

Looks like minnesota televeises all first roudn gmaes both classes and we cant even afford to do one?
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby highheat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:00 am

gfhockey wrote:Looks like minnesota televeises all first roudn gmaes both classes and we cant even afford to do one?

i dont know if youve noticed, but the high school state hockey tournament in minnesota is a huge deal. they sell out every game and are making large amounts of money off of this tournament. the high school state hockey tournament in north dakota isnt as big of a deal. attendance is not very high and there's probably not much money being gained from it.

now do you see why all the games arent televised here in north dakota?
highheat

Postby gfhockey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:08 am

THEY DONT SELL OUT!! are u kidding me? they had 4600 in the thursday afternoon session. thats about 700 more then we did in our quarterfinal session afternoon. btw. minneapolis is double the double populatio of ND
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Clark17 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:10 am

Did it's attendance fare better when it was just one class?  I believe that it did.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby hcky1616 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 am

Back when Television Stations were locally owned and controlled the EDC hockey tourney was Televised, now that 1 or 2 Corporates own and control the TV media in North Dakota the public will not see what may be considered the minor games. Check out the radio coverage, it was the local community stations that had the broadcast coverage, twas the way it was for TV some years ago, nowadays they have lost that local control.
hcky1616

Return to Hockey