State Predictions

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby money2128 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:16 am

1337 wrote:[user=105]ndsubball[/user] wrote:
The only reason you disagree with that person is because you are from south and I have a good feeling that devils lake will?give SOUTH a run for their chances in the opening round game...the reason is because they just over look the west and think that all they are is just a bunch of joke teams but you east guys are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ALSO LIKE HOW?ALL MOST?ALL OF YOU THINK THAT SOUTH IS GOING TO GO INTO?STATE AND JUST?KILL DEVILS LAKE BUT I THINK YOU GUYS ARE WRONG!!!!!!

[user=105]ndsubball[/user] wrote:
South will have their hands full with Devils Lake.....just becasue they are #1 in the state doesnt mean they can over look their competion and Devils Lake might escape with the victory..

[user=162]NDhockey6b[/user] wrote:
what does everyone have to say about the williston grafton game? I say williston will pull it off. There is just something about them.

[user=162]NDhockey6b[/user] wrote:
I was confused why so many people picked grafton over such a big hitting team? They hit every chance they get. I know for a fact the campbells do NOT like to get hit at all. I think that is a williston win.

[user=270]money2128[/user] wrote:
I watched Williston at WDA for the first time all year and i have to say they are one of the most physical teams i have seen play in high School hockey.

Apparently we weren't thinking wrong. It's amazing how a score of 5 to 2 and you try to find the justification that it wasn't as big a blow out as people said. You said it wasn't going to be a blow out and that they would even give South a game. It really didn't sound like much of a game to me.

As far as Williston goes, they were far from the most physical team. They may have held that title in the west, but certainly not tonight. And even if you still want to make that statement, apparently it doesn't really matter, because you can be as physical as you want without it meaning anything if you can't put the puck in the net. Grafton is far from a physical team, and they sure had no problems handling Williston. Those Campbell boys remembered to show up too!

You can say all you want that there isn't a difference, but rather apparently it got proven once again tonight that there is a world of difference. The east is simply too much for the west once again.

P.S. That goalie for Bismarck is a stud!

*Edit spelling and added the P.S.*

I watched Williston play 2 of their 3 Games at WDA and i will make that statement once again that they are one of the most physical teams i have watched play, and that seems to be their style of play.

I wasn't at the game so i can't say that williston was playing physical last night, however the Bismarck Tribune stated "GPR caught a break from the officials on what appeared to be a blistering open ice hit by Colby Rehak." According to the Tribune, he was called for elbowing.  Grafton then scored 4 unanswerd goals. Like i stated earlier, I wasn't at the game so I can't state my opinion on the hitting or the officiating.

With that being said, I never once stated that because Williston was a physical team that they would beat GPR.  I have watched GPR play over the years and I know what they are capable of, especially during tournament time.

And yes there is a difference between the east and west one reason is level of competition.  In recent years i do believe the west has improved, but needs to continue to improve, so our state tournament isn't so one sided every year and is more competitive.  

money2128
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:53 am

Now there's a real man. I appreciate the reply and for standing by what you originally said. They do play a more physical style than most teams, but once down by 4 goals it showed they didn't have much else to go on. I don't think that by any means the officiating was bad, nor did that call change the outcome. In fact I don't even think they scored a power play goal on the call in question. (Note I could be wrong). I do also agree the west has improved, but there is just a whole other gear that the east teams go into at tournament time. Thanks again for the reply. Hopefully we're in store for more great games today!

*Edit grammar errors*
Last edited by 1337 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby money2128 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:03 am

1337 wrote:Now there's a real man. I appreciate the reply and for standing by what you originally said. They do play a more physical style than most teams, but once down by 4 goals it showed they didn't have much else to go on. I don't think that by any means the officiating was bad, nor did that call change the outcome. In fact I don't even think they scored a power play goal on the call in question. (Note I could be wrong). I do also agree the west has improved, but there is just a whole other gear that the east teams go into at tournament time. Thanks again for the reply. Hopefully we're in store for more great games today!

*Edit grammar errors*

Thanks,

According to the Bis. Tribune, GPR did score their first goal as a result of a power play from that hit.
money2128
NDPreps Starter

Postby puck71 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:09 am

According to the scoresheet at rinkwriter.com, GPR's first goal came 1:09 after the elbowing call, but they list it as an even-strength goal. There were no other penalties in that timeframe so I'm pretty sure it was a power-play goal and they entered it in the scoresheet incorrectly.

I saw the hit in question and it was a hard hit, but I wasn't in any kind of angle to tell if it was elbowing or not. The referee did, however, have a very good look at it.
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsubball » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:16 am

Well DL atleast tried and it wasnt a blow out like you guys said it was 5-2..OH YEAH WHO HAD THE FIRST GOAL OF THE GAME AND LEAD GOING INTO THE 2ND PERIOD I DONT THINK IT WAS SOUTH
ndsubball

Postby puck71 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:22 am

It wasn't a blowout, but I wouldn't call it a close game either. Devils Lake played a good first period (although South did have some good scoring chances in the first, they just couldn't put the puck in) and basically couldn't keep up with South in the second period and they put the game away. I guess it's a small moral victory to score the first goal and lead after the first period, but it's not really any more than that.
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby money2128 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:25 am

puck71 wrote:According to the scoresheet at rinkwriter.com, GPR's first goal came 1:09 after the elbowing call, but they list it as an even-strength goal. There were no other penalties in that timeframe so I'm pretty sure it was a power-play goal and they entered it in the scoresheet incorrectly.

I saw the hit in question and it was a hard hit, but I wasn't in any kind of angle to tell if it was elbowing or not. The referee did, however, have a very good look at it.

Yeah looks like an error to me. 

Watching Williston play i noticed they threw a few elbows that never got called at WDA.  I am assuming it could have gone either way.
money2128
NDPreps Starter

Postby money2128 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:32 am

ndsubball wrote:Well DL atleast tried and it wasnt a blow out like you guys said it was 5-2..OH YEAH WHO HAD THE FIRST GOAL OF THE GAME AND LEAD GOING INTO THE 2ND PERIOD I DONT THINK IT WAS SOUTH

I can say this much I wouldn't have expected a 5-2 game out of DL.  I thought it would be much worse.  I give DL credit for playing as well as they did against South, arguably the best team in the state.  I think DL will have a solid team next year, they have some young guys who look pretty good.

money2128
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:34 am

Thanks for the clarification puck71. I couldn't quite remember clearly. From my vantage point I thought it was an elbow, not that it matters. It wasn't a Mike Prpich elbow or anything. :)
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:14 pm

South beats Central 5-2
RR beats Grafton 3-2 OT

RR Vs. South for state championship. This should be a great game. Best of luck to both teams.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDhockey6b » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:49 pm

Yes i was suprised by the DL south game. DL was outplayed but not killed. The shots were around 30-20. Like i said DL would catch them off guard then south would put it together and take control. DL also had a last second goal called off which would have made the game 5-3 which is much closer than ANYONE but DL woulda thought. And poor williston catching the injury bug this year. This was their big year and it kinda got ruined by bad luck. Lee didnt play till the 3rd period and did look so hot(he could hardly skate on that ankle). Erickson did not play either. I think DL will be tough next year, they would have for sure took the west with those 12 sophmores and 4-5 more coming up. DL is only loseing 4 srs. They have a very impressive soph. goalie also. DL will be tough for the next 2 years. Both goals they got in the south game were scored by sophmores and the 3rd called off was also a sophmore. So with DL moving to the east i think might actually be a good thing for them by making them better by straight up playing better teams all season. I predict DL being 3rd or 4th in the east at the end of next season. Jamestown may find themselfs in a cake walk next season with the west declineing ALOT!
every practice matters...but every game Counts
NDhockey6b
NDPreps Starter

Postby money2128 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:16 am

Jamestown had a young team this year, i think they will be a tough team next year along with DL,  regardless of where they play.
money2128
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:51 am

i dont think jamestown will be that good in the west century had  really young team as well and they beat jamestown century also returns 18 letterwinners with a very significant amount of playing time i just dont see jamestown being very good their young players didnt really contribute this season anyway the only player who contributed had his points tripled in penalty minutes
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDhockey6b » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:02 pm

thanks for the facts sports threat, i would have to agree with you on that subject now knowing some new facts. I would have to say century will be better than last year. They seemed to be much better of a team by the end of the year. Minot is usually always tough, so even losing all those srs im sure they will be top 4 in the west.
NDhockey6b
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsioux » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:37 pm

i think century will be better next year also. Out of the seniors they lose, no one really blew me away. Alex Bortke didnt live up to the (mostly self-made) hype. But their problems this year came about because they couldn't put the puck in the net and they had a bad powerplay. And Wentz will help from the point on the PP but other than Drew Flanagin I dont see them having any dominating forwards.
ndsioux

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:58 pm

i think that century will be able to score alot more this upcoming season due to the fact there will be a lot less drama in te locker room and the kids will be able to play and have funwith all of their so called leaders not there to chew the out for not doing what they told them to and just go with the flow there was just way tooooo much drama in that locker room this year and it is gone now.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDhockey6b » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:54 am

I would say Century will have some good leadership and they will be good as a team, But i would not go as far to say that players like Flanagin are dominating forwards with 16 returning points? Century only had 5 players in double digits and the top scorer had 17 points. None of them are close to the point of dominating, but they could score and win as a TEAM. One reason only losing 1 of the 5 top scorers will help maybe to make up for the shortage of scoring. Their D were slow and lacking puck control skills and so the 1-2 returning D will have to step up to show some defensive leadership.
NDhockey6b
NDPreps Starter

Postby tomjof64 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 am

century beat jamestown. century is returning alot of players. dickinson beat century 2 of 3 times. once 9-3. dickinson is returning 12-13, after 70% of scoring graduates. i don't think jamestown is going to walk into state tourney.
tomjof64

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:46 am

[align=center] [/align]http://www.gfparks.org/ndaha/jamestown.html
 here is their stats page

here are jamestowns returning scores as you can see for about every point they get they get about 4 penality minutes so if they want to win they will have to know how to score short handed
Last edited by Saucesauer on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDhockey6b » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:50 pm

What happened to Jamestown's boy Zach Welding, if my memory serves me right did'nt he get 25-30 points last season as a sophmore. Now this year he gets 12? musta been in the box more than on the ice! haha. Can't score from the sin bin.
NDhockey6b
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:53 pm

Very true but i thik last year he had more help from players around him this yer he had to do it himself
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDhockey6b » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:59 pm

Yeah that is a good point but i believe he had the same linemates as last year. Brett Richie and the other zach and only brett had a good year. Welding musta had an off year and they had to of all been frustrated. I wouldnt be suprised to see him with a 30 point season next year.
NDhockey6b
NDPreps Starter

Postby DrPepper1 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:14 pm

Welding should put up big numbers next year regardless of who hes playing with simply because he'll be playing in the West.  And as for century and other west teams, no matter how good they are, they'll all be playing for the consolation championship just like every other year.
DrPepper1
NDPreps Starter

Postby exwestcoach » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:40 pm

Don't be surprised if he (Flanagan)is back to defense next year. Yes their forwards will not be "dominant" but I would not be surprised if they have 5-7 forwards within the 15 point range, give or take. 
Last edited by exwestcoach on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exwestcoach

Postby exwestcoach » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:42 pm

Dickinson lost all its points except Frenzel, who is much more impressive on the baseball field than hockey ice. I will take Century over them next year every time.  
exwestcoach

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey