Best Goalie in the State

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby undgf » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:00 pm

There are aloy of good goalies, they all have bad nights so hard to tell. some have bettre d to make em look better
undgf
NDPreps Reserve

Postby coast2coast » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:23 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
coast2coast wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
coast2coast wrote:
3sport wrote:kline had 44 saves against century last night

Thats great.  Century is what on the year now? 3-13 and a few ties?  That must of been a great game for Kline.

Deichert is good, anyone who can play and do well in the Elite is good.

Hillman, Kovacs, and Arnason all have a shot at playing D1 in the next few years.  Kovacs is bigger than Arnason but Arnason has better fundamentals, it also helps that he has the best defense and best team in the state in front of him.

I'd say they will give 3 goalies all state honors again this year, Arnason, Deichert, and Hillman.

Your just a pure hater, just cause kline doesn't have the supporting cast like Arnason and deichert have doesn't put behind him he has been playing selects the last 4 years with the 90's so your telling me in his time there hasn't been not one east goalie he has knocked off the team? get over yourself, it makes a difference when your not seeing an average of 30-40 shots a game like kline does. How many shots does deichert and arnason see a game? Plus how many defenseman do they have backing them up that are going to go on and play after high school, it makes a deference when your getting uncontested rebounds in front of the net, somthing he see's every night.

Don't go and hate on him because he is from the west, if he was from the east you would have no problem with the kid. Put arnason or deichert in the situation kline has they would get lite up just as bad.

Kovacs has a very bad team in front of him and he is still able to put back 93%.

Deichert has a bunch of individuals in front of him, hardly what you would call a team.  Shouldn't the weak wing pick up the slot?  South's weak wing is at the blue line before anyone gets to the puck.

Arnason is lucky, great D, good coaching, good fundamentals, and a great overall team.  Not to mention he is on the team to beat in the state, every forward puts all he has into shots on him.

Hillman, I'm suprised he came back to BHS, but it's obviously helping them (tied for first in the West with subpar forwards).  I haven't seen him play yet this year, but I'm sure he is only better.

I'm not hating on him, I'm stating that he can't steal a meaningful game against a team that has put up a whopping 68 goals this year.  47 shots on net is alot of shots, but according to gfparks.org, Mandan put on 30.  So the game was by no means a blowout, you could hardly call that lopsided.  I'd say both team's defense must struggle.  If you can't steal a game like that, you shouldn't be considered to be one of the top goalies in the state.  I don't see why a kid like that wouldn't move to Bismarck, if he truly loves hockey and plays for the selects (which doesn't take much anymore), he might as well go to Century and beat out their goalie and have a shot at going to state.

Sauce, sounds like you play for Century or have played for them.  Reality check, 5-12-3 in the West.  Seriously, a tie for you against Crookston must be equivalent feeling of Red River winning at state.  I hope you make it to state and get a chance to play against South.  Regardless of what happened against Crookston and the way they play right now, it will be double digits.

I'm not here to hate, I'm here to tell the truth.  The East is better than the West, but the West is closing the gap and its players are having success in higher levels to prove it.  We won't be seeing 2 west and 2 east teams in the TV round for another decade, that is just how it is.  With strong programs Minot and Bismarck did fine for a few years in the 90s, I see them both getting back to that point soon.  With young, new coaches both teams are leading the West and playing with some of the East, hopefully good things continue to come for them.

He has other personal reasons why he doesn't leave and go play hockey else where so right now in his life thats really not an option. Lets get real is playing at BHS or CHS really going to make a difference? I could see BHS, though i don't see the CHS program picking it up anytime soon.

Well Mandan is 8 in the West, Century is 5, and Bismarck is 2.

Plus, East teams actually play the Bismarcks and both go to MN over XMas break, giving the kids more exposure to better hockey and, in some cases, scouts.

You obviously know him personally and think of him very highly, so your opinion can only be thought of as heavily biased.  Let's get real, if you are any good and want to receive any credit for being good, you need to get out of Mandan. (speaking of which, is Bair still playing anywhere?)
coast2coast
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:27 am

coast2coast wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
coast2coast wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
coast2coast wrote:
3sport wrote:kline had 44 saves against century last night

Thats great.  Century is what on the year now? 3-13 and a few ties?  That must of been a great game for Kline.

Deichert is good, anyone who can play and do well in the Elite is good.

Hillman, Kovacs, and Arnason all have a shot at playing D1 in the next few years.  Kovacs is bigger than Arnason but Arnason has better fundamentals, it also helps that he has the best defense and best team in the state in front of him.

I'd say they will give 3 goalies all state honors again this year, Arnason, Deichert, and Hillman.

Your just a pure hater, just cause kline doesn't have the supporting cast like Arnason and deichert have doesn't put behind him he has been playing selects the last 4 years with the 90's so your telling me in his time there hasn't been not one east goalie he has knocked off the team? get over yourself, it makes a difference when your not seeing an average of 30-40 shots a game like kline does. How many shots does deichert and arnason see a game? Plus how many defenseman do they have backing them up that are going to go on and play after high school, it makes a deference when your getting uncontested rebounds in front of the net, somthing he see's every night.

Don't go and hate on him because he is from the west, if he was from the east you would have no problem with the kid. Put arnason or deichert in the situation kline has they would get lite up just as bad.

Kovacs has a very bad team in front of him and he is still able to put back 93%.

Deichert has a bunch of individuals in front of him, hardly what you would call a team.  Shouldn't the weak wing pick up the slot?  South's weak wing is at the blue line before anyone gets to the puck.

Arnason is lucky, great D, good coaching, good fundamentals, and a great overall team.  Not to mention he is on the team to beat in the state, every forward puts all he has into shots on him.

Hillman, I'm suprised he came back to BHS, but it's obviously helping them (tied for first in the West with subpar forwards).  I haven't seen him play yet this year, but I'm sure he is only better.

I'm not hating on him, I'm stating that he can't steal a meaningful game against a team that has put up a whopping 68 goals this year.  47 shots on net is alot of shots, but according to gfparks.org, Mandan put on 30.  So the game was by no means a blowout, you could hardly call that lopsided.  I'd say both team's defense must struggle.  If you can't steal a game like that, you shouldn't be considered to be one of the top goalies in the state.  I don't see why a kid like that wouldn't move to Bismarck, if he truly loves hockey and plays for the selects (which doesn't take much anymore), he might as well go to Century and beat out their goalie and have a shot at going to state.

Sauce, sounds like you play for Century or have played for them.  Reality check, 5-12-3 in the West.  Seriously, a tie for you against Crookston must be equivalent feeling of Red River winning at state.  I hope you make it to state and get a chance to play against South.  Regardless of what happened against Crookston and the way they play right now, it will be double digits.

I'm not here to hate, I'm here to tell the truth.  The East is better than the West, but the West is closing the gap and its players are having success in higher levels to prove it.  We won't be seeing 2 west and 2 east teams in the TV round for another decade, that is just how it is.  With strong programs Minot and Bismarck did fine for a few years in the 90s, I see them both getting back to that point soon.  With young, new coaches both teams are leading the West and playing with some of the East, hopefully good things continue to come for them.

He has other personal reasons why he doesn't leave and go play hockey else where so right now in his life thats really not an option. Lets get real is playing at BHS or CHS really going to make a difference? I could see BHS, though i don't see the CHS program picking it up anytime soon.

Well Mandan is 8 in the West, Century is 5, and Bismarck is 2.

Plus, East teams actually play the Bismarcks and both go to MN over XMas break, giving the kids more exposure to better hockey and, in some cases, scouts.

You obviously know him personally and think of him very highly, so your opinion can only be thought of as heavily biased.  Let's get real, if you are any good and want to receive any credit for being good, you need to get out of Mandan. (speaking of which, is Bair still playing anywhere?)

He made the bobcats again this fall, but decided he didn't want to deal with another season, so he hung it up for he could focus on school. He actually is peewee hockey coach for the club in mandan, during school and work.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Favre#1 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:27 pm

Bottom Line jake Oster of Hazen is of, if not the best goalie in the state.....he plays on the worst team in the state and still puts up great numbers.....when hazen lost to Bismarck 1-0 it wasn't because hazen played good it was because Oster played out of his freaking head he made 72 saves......you can't tell me that the numbers he puts up for the team he is on aren't good
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Orr4 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:03 pm

We can't forget about Zach Boldt from Williston. He put up good numbers and is 2nd in state.
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jkaiz » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:45 pm

and thats why haugenoe plays against the better teams:? bolt plays the lower teams
jkaiz

Postby Orr4 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:19 am

No they switch every other game. One will play BHS the first game and the other one will play them the second game.
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tony17 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:06 pm

How do the goalie styles of Deichert , Hillman and Arnason vary?
  Which one is the best and in what order?
    Any of them have Junior affiliations or are going to play Junior's?

Id like any information anyone has on the top goaies in the state.
tony17
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fellowes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:15 pm

GP               SV%               GAA

Sean Deichert                 19.2           90%               2.34

Michael Hillman                18              92%               2.00

Patrick Arnason               13.2            95%               0.95

Deichert will more then likley play juniors in the USHL or in the NAHL. Hillman belongs to the Bismarck Bobcats( NAHL) and will either play there or the USHL.
Arnason will more then likley finish his high school years at Red River ( he is an 11th grader) i have less info on him than the other two goalies.
Last edited by fellowes on Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fellowes
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:09 am

fellowes wrote:                                      GP               SV%               GAA

Sean Deichert                 19.2           90%               2.34

Michael Hillman                18              92%               2.00

Patrick Arnason               13.2            95%               0.95

Deichert will more then likley play juniors in the USHL or in the NAHL. Hillman belongs to the Bismarck Bobcats( NAHL) and will either play there or the USHL.
Arnason will more then likley finish his high school years at Red River ( he is an 11th grader) i have less info on him than the other two goalies.

Hillman with those numbers just shows that he is a stud, he is doing it with so much less then what dietcret and arnason have supporting them. His team does not compare to south or red river. He keeps bismarck in alot of games.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby tony17 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 am

"Deichert is good, anyone who can play and do well in the Elite is good.

Hillman, Kovacs, and Arnason all have a shot at playing D1 in the next few years.  Kovacs is bigger than Arnason but Arnason has better fundamentals, it also helps that he has the best defense and best team in the state in front of him."

You think all of these goalies will get a shot at D-1 within the next few years? 
  If Hillman belongs to the Bobcats why didnt he play for them this season, and is he even big enough to play Junior A hockey (5'9", 145)?
  Could any of these goalies even crack a USHL roster spot?
tony17
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hcky1616 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 pm

Saw Hillman play at the Bobcats final tryout. He was...not good. Like you said too small.
hcky1616

Postby fellowes » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:30 pm

I was also at the Bobcats tryout and I will agree to disagree. I do not think he is to small to play at the Junior A level, and he played well enough at the tryouts to make the team his senior year, I beleive he is joining the Bobcats right after the high school season , so he must be doing something right.
fellowes
NDPreps Starter

Postby BenchRanger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:15 am

Lamoureoux ( 5' 8" 156lbs.) He's not big enough to play D-1??????????
Last edited by BenchRanger on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not how high you climb, but how high you bounce after you fall. Gen. George Patton
BenchRanger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wiregon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:05 pm

hillman deichert and arnason should all play juniors somewhere , if they have success in juniors they should get a good shot at the college ranks 
   does anyone know if deichert or hillman can join the jets/bobcats at the end of the high school season and still play for team north dakota at the showcase?
wiregon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:27 pm

wiregon wrote:hillman deichert and arnason should all play juniors somewhere , if they have success in juniors they should get a good shot at the college ranks 
   does anyone know if deichert or hillman can join the jets/bobcats at the end of the high school season and still play for team north dakota at the showcase?

Charlie bair did it 2 years back with the bobcats i believe
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby wiregon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:37 pm

yes charlie bair practiced with them after the season but i dont beleive he was rostered or played in a game
   im not even positive charlie even practiced the remainder of the junior season for that matter i think he needed a break or something of that sort
 thats just what i heard
wiregon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tony17 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:40 pm

I dont think Bair was rostered with the Bobcats at that time.
tony17
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fellowes » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:24 am

I spoke with a Century assistant coach last week and he had told me that Hillman was joining the Bobcats at the end of the season and would be rostered. I dont know how this affects Team ND or if he would even try out.
fellowes
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbq_chicken_fan83 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:43 pm

If I could have one goalie on my team in would be Grant Kovacs.  All you people bragging up Sean Deichert and Pat Arneson make me laugh.  If they were on a average west team they would get lit up like nothing.  These western goalies face 30+ shots on an average night while Deichert and Arneson make around 15 average.  The State Tournament showed to me how good these east goalies really are.
bbq_chicken_fan83

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:27 pm

A goalie gets much better when they get 30+ shots a game.

Arnason/Diechert, when they only get 10-15 shots a game, imo jsut makes it that much harder, especially to get a good save %. Going from getting 0 shots in the last 30 minutes to having to face a breakaway is incredibly tough on goalies, and at the state tournament when the goalies faced a lot of shots it wasn't what they were used to. However, had they played in the west all year, I'm sure they would have done much better.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby jo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:53 am

Wildcat wrote:Would it be fair to put Grant Kovacs of Dickinson in the top five? He's having a good year. Numbers-wise, Arneson is having the best year, I would say. Of course, he has the best overall team too.

I watched Hillman and I was impressed. He is like 5-9 , 145 pounds on the roster. Kovacs is like 6-4, 220. They looked like David and Goliath. Hillman, Deichert, Arneson and Kovacs as the top four?

Let me know what the opinion on this is!
I'd say Kovacs. Each time i've played him, i find it almost impossible to get a puck passed him

Is he a sophmore or a Junior?
jo
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:13 am

jo wrote:
Wildcat wrote:Would it be fair to put Grant Kovacs of Dickinson in the top five? He's having a good year. Numbers-wise, Arneson is having the best year, I would say. Of course, he has the best overall team too.

I watched Hillman and I was impressed. He is like 5-9 , 145 pounds on the roster. Kovacs is like 6-4, 220. They looked like David and Goliath. Hillman, Deichert, Arneson and Kovacs as the top four?

Let me know what the opinion on this is!
I'd say Kovacs. Each time i've played him, i find it almost impossible to get a puck passed him

Is he a sophmore or a Junior?

He's a junior and i think he should leave dickinson and test the waters with the bobcats, i think he would be a great goalie for them.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby nd0606 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:39 am

I haven't seen Oster play, but his numbers are impressive considering the amount of shots he sees in a game and also how good(bad) his team is.  I'm sure Hazen wouldn't have been in a position to beat Bismarck or Williston if it wasn't for Oster (72 saves 1GA - BHS 1-0...43 saves 3GA - Williston 3-2)  He kept his team in a position to win and that is all you can ask for from a goaltender.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gophers9 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:23 pm

SON    Saves    Save %

Oster      1054      948       90

Arnason  425        401       94

Diechert  629        569       90

Its not even comparable. Anyone that can face 1054 shots and have a save percntage of 90 compared to 629 shots and having the same save percentage. You'd be crazy to say Oster isn't one of, if not the best goalie in the state. He's seen about as many shots this year as Diechert has seen in his high school career.
Gophers9
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey