Mr. Hockey

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:50 pm

are any of these players going to play at UND?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ditka14 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:12 pm

jkaiz wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:No offense to Herbel, but I think that Wurden deserved Mr. Hockey over Herbel. Danny Wurden is one of the best defensemen to play in North Dakota, and his life is hockey. I don't know about Miller or Herbel personally, but I don't see them playing anything after Highschool, especially not a chance to go to the NHL. After a devastating loss for Wurden's team and him, then losing Mr. Hockey to a player from a team that didn't even make it past the WDA really is a low blow to a player that has pulled his team through some very very close games that coulda gone the other way. Mr. Hockey would have also no-doubt helped Wurden with his future hockey career, if not just for the fact that losing it could have hurt it.

umm herbal has allready played juniors so i guess he has already been somewhere other than high school hockey, personally i think it could have gone to either herbal or wurden, its just hard to tell because they played completely different teams and different positions.  They probly could have givin co-mr. hockey

He played AAA midgets, the reason herbel won was because of having three nominations from the east, and one from the west. seven out of nine west coaches voted for him im sure, and the east teams were split three ways. So herbel wins by them having three. Congrats to herbel, lets see what he does on Team ND in Chi-town
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:39 pm

[user=93]Ming01[/user] wrote:
are any of these players going to play at UND?

I'd highly doubt it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ironrange » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:39 pm

UND#1 wrote:
The Hockey Wizzard wrote:
ndfootball wrote:I dont see how you can vote Herbal over Zach Miller.  Miller had like one less point that Herbal but his team was playing in the touney.  If you put any other of the finalists on Bottineau they are going to be just as good if not better than Herbal.  Watched Miller play against minot and he is a great player.

sometimes there is more to winning and point total.  i'm guessing you have never seen herbal play, everybody watches and wonders where the speed and skill come from.  i watched both miller and herbal play, miller is great but doesn't stand out like herbal.

the votes are tallied and they give it too herbal, get over it.

I think that Zach Miller would stand out on Bottineau's team.  Herbal skates with his head down and isnt as well rounded as Wurrden or Miller.

Of course Zach Miller would stand out for Bottineau, alot of players would but not like Herbel did.  That's what makes it impressive is that he put up his numbers with not near the talent that the other top players got to play with.  I think he deserved to win because he is talented and if you don't believe that you just havn't watched him play yet.
ironrange

Postby Ditka14 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:32 am

ironrange wrote:
UND#1 wrote:
ndfootball wrote:I dont see how you can vote Herbal over Zach Miller.  Miller had like one less point that Herbal but his team was playing in the touney.  If you put any other of the finalists on Bottineau they are going to be just as good if not better than Herbal.  Watched Miller play against minot and he is a great player.

sometimes there is more to winning and point total.  i'm guessing you have never seen herbal play, everybody watches and wonders where the speed and skill come from.  i watched both miller and herbal play, miller is great but doesn't stand out like herbal.

I think that Zach Miller would stand out on Bottineau's team.  Herbal skates with his head down and isnt as well rounded as Wurrden or Miller.

Of course Zach Miller would stand out for Bottineau, alot of players would but not like Herbel did.  That's what makes it impressive is that he put up his numbers with not near the talent that the other top players got to play with.  I think he deserved to win because he is talented and if you don't believe that you just havn't watched him play yet.

Ive seen him play about 6 times, so if your telling me that if danny wurden, zach miller, and kyle everson were on bottineau they would just stand out. Though not like herbel?

Everson played last year in the west and if Devils lake was still in the west this year i believe they would have ran away with the WDA title, and making him Mr. Hockey. Herbel would not have got the nomination.

Wurden would not be the player he is if he played in bottineau his hole life, him playing at south makes him so much better, though you theoretically put him as a senior transfer to bottineau he would have the most points in the state. Playing against Central Butte, Beinfait, Morden, Atler River, Boissevan, not to mention hazen and mandan and the rest of the west region. He would have close to 80-90 i think if he was playing a bottineau schedule as a defenseman the way i have watched him skate the puck it would get real ugly quick.

Zach miller would STANDOUT more then Herbel, Herbel would be the Danny Montplasir to charlie bair two years ago or wilert with dittus if i would compare players in the west in the past to these two. I think Herbel would get lost in the shadow of miller if they played together.

Brings me back to the point i allready said one west finalist, to three from the east them three all split votes leaving herbel the Mr. hockey award with the west votes he recieved.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:06 am

Ming01 wrote:are any of these players going to play at UND?

I would hope not.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dubblepen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:13 am

I believe that Mr. Hockey is not only voted on by their point totals, but alos by academic and out of school activities. Wurden has had bad grades and Miller had a DUI in the summer. Im thinking that those two things had something to do with them not winning. Take nothing away from Herbal because he is a great hockey player, but if those other two things didnt happen I would have to believe that Wurden or Miller would have won it.
blood sweat and tears, i dripped all tre jus to get hur.
dubblepen
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ledahl14 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:28 am

UND#1 wrote:[quote="The Hockey Wizzard[/user] wrote: [/b]
[b][user=993]ndfootball"]I dont see how you can vote Herbal over Zach Miller.  Miller had like one less point that Herbal but his team was playing in the touney.  If you put any other of the finalists on Bottineau they are going to be just as good if not better than Herbal.  Watched Miller play against minot and he is a great player.

or would herbal be better if he played for grafton or red river, it goes both ways.  playing for a better team might allow him to backcheck harder or have more gas in the tank. 
watching him play it appears his head is down, but he hardly ever gets hit and always finds open space.  i seen him make alot of nice passes, hard to do if your head is down. 

[/quote]
ya hockey wizzard is right he tilts his head down but he's lookin  up at the defenseman so they think he's got his head down but he's always ready to make a move before the D can react and he has great vision on the ice i mean look at his assists he made bottineau better other ppl had to have been scorin because of those assists watch the kid play he's really fun to watch
ledahl14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ledahl14 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:35 am

Ditka14 wrote:
ironrange wrote:
UND#1 wrote:

Ive seen him play about 6 times, so if your telling me that if danny wurden, zach miller, and kyle everson were on bottineau they would just stand out. Though not like herbel?

Everson played last year in the west and if Devils lake was still in the west this year i believe they would have ran away with the WDA title, and making him Mr. Hockey. Herbel would not have got the nomination.

Wurden would not be the player he is if he played in bottineau his hole life, him playing at south makes him so much better, though you theoretically put him as a senior transfer to bottineau he would have the most points in the state. Playing against Central Butte, Beinfait, Morden, Atler River, Boissevan, not to mention hazen and mandan and the rest of the west region. He would have close to 80-90 i think if he was playing a bottineau schedule as a defenseman the way i have watched him skate the puck it would get real ugly quick.

Zach miller would STANDOUT more then Herbel, Herbel would be the Danny Montplasir to charlie bair two years ago or wilert with dittus if i would compare players in the west in the past to these two. I think Herbel would get lost in the shadow of miller if they played together.

Brings me back to the point i allready said one west finalist, to three from the east them three all split votes leaving herbel the Mr. hockey award with the west votes he recieved.

okay guys central butte beinfait and morden were all at the williston holiday tournament so it's not like bottineau put them into their schedule they just came and played they don't play bad teams to get their stats up and when i saw herbal skate for the skills comp. u could actually hear the wind as he went by this kid can outskate anyone in the state and he has great hands, plus the fact that he gave up AAA hockey to come back to bottineau and help his team out for his senior year shows alot of leadership and sacrifice and about the whole west all voting for the west player so the east players got screwed..... they voted for the best player they saw out on the ice if that was the case the west usually only has one player up for mr. hockey so the west would win every year which isn't the case obviously and it also goes for grades and what u do off the ice he deserves every bit of mr. hockey don't try to cheapen it boys
Last edited by ledahl14 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ledahl14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:40 am

ledahl14 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
ironrange wrote:
UND#1 wrote:

okay guys central butte beinfait and morden were all at the williston holiday tournament so it's not like bottineau put them into their schedule they just came and played they don't play bad teams to get their stats up and when i saw herbal skate for the skills comp. u could actually hear the wind as he went by this kid can outskate anyone in the state and he has great hands, plus the fact that he gave up AAA hockey to come back to bottineau and help his team out for his senior year shows alot of leadership and sacrifice and about the whole west all voting for the west player so the east players got screwed..... they voted for the best player they saw out on the ice if that was the case the west usually only has one player up for mr. hockey so the west would win every year which isn't the case obviously and it also goes for grades and what u do off the ice he deserves every bit of mr. hockey don't try to cheapen it boys

Hes good but if there were two from the west, two from the east it would have been a different story.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby ledahl14 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:47 am

not true if there was 2 from the west the other one wouldn't have got any votes hahaha
ledahl14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:56 am

ledahl14 wrote:not true if there was 2 from the west the other one wouldn't have got any votes hahaha

Yeah....
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Clark17 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:16 pm

What if Herbel grew up playing  in Grafton, G.F., or Fargo?  Would he be better? Something to think about.  What if Ryan Kraft's family would have never moved from the Bottineau area, would he have been the same player he still is today? Probably not likely, he probably still would have been very good, however.   Eric has pulled off quite an accomplishment and you can't take that away from him.       
Last edited by Clark17 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby anderson16 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:43 pm

Yeah Danny Wurden is the best defensemen in the state and probably should of won Mr. Hockey, but Eric Herbel is a dang good player and that is pretty cool that a guy from such a bad team like Bottineau can win Mr. hockey.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Metal Edge » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:52 am

Clark17 wrote:What if Herbel grew up playing  in Grafton, G.F., or Fargo?  Would he be better? Something to think about.  What if Ryan Kraft's family would have never moved from the Bottineau area, would he have been the same player he still is today? Probably not likely, he probably still would have been very good, however.   Eric has pulled off quite an accomplishment and you can't take that away from him.       

Excellant point about ryan kraft, would he be the same player?  Or how about Jeremy Ashiem who scored 98 or 99 points for Bismarck High during the 1991-1992 season.  He played in Bottineau up until he was a sophmore and then transfered to Bismarck High.  

Point being that people have to look past the fact that he is from Bottineau, because Bottineau has always produced good hockey players just not enough of them.  Over the past 7-8 years, Bottineau has struggled to put out good teams until this year.  People forget that Bottineau use to be a favorite to win  the west region championship.  During the late 80's Bottineau was a favorite going into the state tournaments.    
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby WildWarrior » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:30 am

I also remember Justin Theel left Bottineau to play in Bismarck when I was playing 1989-1991. 
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:38 am

i think eric deserved mr. hockey b/c he was prolly better than the other canidates.  herbel would dangle around them even in the east.  ya i watched mr. nhl (aka danny wurden) at the state tournament and i was not impressed at all. maybe he din't play hard because he knew he was in the presence of a hockey god... #16 Eric Herbel:P
jo
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WildWarrior » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:50 am

jo wrote:i think eric deserved mr. hockey b/c he was prolly better than the other canidates.  herbel would dangle around them even in the east.  ya i watched mr. nhl (aka danny wurden) at the state tournament and i was not impressed at all. maybe he din't play hard because he knew he was in the presence of a hockey god... #16 Eric Herbel:P

Wow, that is a bold statement that will never know the answer to.  I am looking forward to the Chicago Showcase where these four young gentlemen can play together against great competition. 
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball007 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:15 am

how can you say herbel would dangle around east players when he played against west teams that went 0-4 against east teams and the number one team out of the west lost 6-0 to the number four team out of the west.  i dont think you can say herbel is better than miller or wurden when miller played in state four years, wurden played in 2 state championships and won one.  keep in mind herbel was playing against less calliber teams such as hazen, mandan, bismarck century JV, and very weak canadian teams.  Fargo South played a much tougher schedule such as defeating White Bear Lake and playing in a tournament against 2 Rochester schools and stillwater and GPR played a tough schedule as well and won the Warroad tournament.  A very poor choice for mr. hockey
baseball007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tim » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm

you can say all that you want about eric playing against west teams... and dont say that he isnt worthy. have  any of you even seen the guy play hockey? he is pretty amazing, and i feel that he would be successful on any of the east teams as well. He took his team from winning one game in 2005-2006, to winning 11 in 2006-2007. Tell me somone else who has done this before. the kid is a miracle worker. he deserves Mr. Hockey....and by the way ......Their back.... look out in the next couple of years. i feel that they wont even be a darkhouse team, they could be shining in the spotlights
Last edited by tim on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby tim » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:34 pm

baseball007 wrote:how can you say herbel would dangle around east players when he played against west teams that went 0-4 against east teams and the number one team out of the west lost 6-0 to the number four team out of the west.  i dont think you can say herbel is better than miller or wurden when miller played in state four years, wurden played in 2 state championships and won one.  keep in mind herbel was playing against less calliber teams such as hazen, mandan, bismarck century JV, and very weak canadian teams.  Fargo South played a much tougher schedule such as defeating White Bear Lake and playing in a tournament against 2 Rochester schools and stillwater and GPR played a tough schedule as well and won the Warroad tournament.  A very poor choice for mr. hockey

Stick to baseball there 007, cuz i think that it was a great choice, or atleast find something that you have a clue about
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby Csauce123 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 pm

jo wrote:i think eric deserved mr. hockey b/c he was prolly better than the other canidates.  herbel would dangle around them even in the east.  ya i watched mr. nhl (aka danny wurden) at the state tournament and i was not impressed at all. maybe he din't play hard because he knew he was in the presence of a hockey god... #16 Eric Herbel:P

Hockey god lol you make me laugh jo.  Biggest bs vote in the history of Mr. Hockey. Hockey god that couldn't make it to state.  Next year Mr. Hockey will be out of Shanley or Whapeton I here they are awesome
Csauce123
NDPreps Starter

Postby RazorsEdge » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Lets look @ Basketball, most of the time  Mr. Basketball does'nt make it to state. This is an individual award. Eric Herbel is a deserving winner. The finalists are picked by all coaches in the state. There were at least 4 nominated from the west. Get over it. Follow Eric's post graduate career, I don't think you will be dissapointed.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby highheat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:40 pm

how about from this perspective; how many state championships does herbel have under his belt?
highheat

Postby bbq_chicken_fan83 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:50 pm

I have one thing to say on this topic Herbel is NOT the most talented player in ND and did NOT deserve this award.
bbq_chicken_fan83

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey