Best sophmores in the state

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:42 pm

RR: Crary, seems to be the real deal when it comes to leading sophomores in the state. Believe I might have seen Keith Howe against South also, believe he was the sophomore that screwed up the breakaway? Didn't look to shabby eithe rway.

GPR: Got a whole line of Sophomore studs, primarily their forwards though. Chad Demers, Ryan Mohagen, Hills Jr., and Gaustad seem to be a pretty big force.

South: ??? Only one sophomore listed in their entire varsity roster.

Shanley: Peter Hvidston, used to play for South I believe (?), heard he was pretty good, too bad he's on shanley.

Whapeton/West Fargo: ???

North: Heard about Narveson being OK, but heard he has a pretty bad temper. Don't know much else from here.

Central: Tanner Spicer, heard a good amount about him. one of the leading points for central. Don't know any others from around here though.

Basicly a roundup that I can mention. Any others?
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby tim » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:31 pm

no one really stands out in the west for sophomores, but minot has bryce schmitt who is a freshman, and i think bottineau has a couple descent defencemen, and williston has some descent underclassmen as well
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby MHSfan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Brett Fiddler from Minot is a Sophmore and is a very good hockey player.  He played his position well this year as a center and set up his line-mates well.  Bryce and him will be the main leaders next year for the team with 16 seniors graduating I believe.  Brett isn't the best in the state but his name deserves to be mentioned.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tim » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:06 pm

I watched bryce and brett play selects and bantam A last year... they work very well togather, i can see those too being great partners in the next couple of years.
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby tim » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:11 pm

i just read an article about bantam A last year... bottineau's bantam purple took second place in minots border cup, loosing to them in double over time, that team had all of the guys that will be seniors in 09 on it, plus a few more (mainly bryce schmitt). bottineau also beat minots A team 5-1 on their home ice, beat dickenson every visit, hazen every visit, and williston one of two times, they lost to mandan twice in overtime, and once in overtime as well to devils lake. this team was made up of twelve guys who will all be seniors in 2009. i think that they might be able to put something togather in the west...
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:04 am

tim wrote:i just read an article about bantam A last year... bottineau's bantam purple took second place in minots border cup, loosing to them in double over time, that team had all of the guys that will be seniors in 09 on it, plus a few more (mainly bryce schmitt). bottineau also beat minots A team 5-1 on their home ice, beat dickenson every visit, hazen every visit, and williston one of two times, they lost to mandan twice in overtime, and once in overtime as well to devils lake. this team was made up of twelve guys who will all be seniors in 2009. i think that they might be able to put something togather in the west...

It wishful thinking its hard to compare club hockey with high school hockey is a different type of pace that alot of athletes that come from club hockey have a hard time getting used to.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:03 am

tim wrote:i just read an article about bantam A last year... bottineau's bantam purple took second place in minots border cup, loosing to them in double over time, that team had all of the guys that will be seniors in 09 on it, plus a few more (mainly bryce schmitt). bottineau also beat minots A team 5-1 on their home ice, beat dickenson every visit, hazen every visit, and williston one of two times, they lost to mandan twice in overtime, and once in overtime as well to devils lake. this team was made up of twelve guys who will all be seniors in 2009. i think that they might be able to put something togather in the west...

If you're going by club hockey, let me look up Bantam A State hockey for the 2009 graduating class (When they'll be seniors).

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/GrandForksHerald/2006/03/20/1294153?extID=10037&oliID=229

The Flyers (Who beat GF in the semifinals) lost to Grafton by a whopping 5 goals. I'm guessing this won't be even close to how the High School games should turn out, but we'll see. If it does shape up this way, that Bottineau team would lose by 20+
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby tim » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:04 am

but then again, remember this, how many teams does grandforks or fargo have to pull from? and all of those teams that bottineau came close to, have only one team to pull from. Grafton's best may have been there, but idk about park river. Now i know that that wasnt all they guys that will play at red river, or all of the guys that will play for central, so im sure they will be stronger than that
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby GFRRfan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:08 pm

I would say that there are 3 sophomores that stand out way ahead of anyone else. These would be Chad Demers, Ryan Mohagen, and Russel Crary. They are all very dangerous every time they step on the ice. I really don't think anyone else comes close. And this Fiddler kid, come on I've seen him play and he does nothing for me. I don't think he will ever be an impact player, just my opinion.
GFRRfan

Postby The Hockey Wizzard » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Ditka14 wrote:

It wishful thinking its hard to compare club hockey with high school hockey is a different type of pace that alot of athletes that come from club hockey have a hard time getting used to.

i'm alittle confused by the comment, "compare club hockey with high school hockey?"  it's a good indicater for future opinions.  and the bottineau team that played other A teams, wasn't a true A team.  they had 2 bantam teams, that were split mainly by age.  the younger team had alot of talent, some of the kids should of been on the other team.  i guess there were internal issues, my team played against the younger squad at the bantam b1 last year in grafton.  there goalie ended up in the hosiptal 2 weeks before the tournament and they used the peewee goalie.  they ended up getting the cons. championship.

i guess my point is that when you combine the two teams, they will be good.  maybe the days of bottineau, shanley, devils lake, and fargo north are coming back.  my brother told me that all 4 teams use to be competitive.
The Hockey Wizzard
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:47 pm

The Hockey Wizzard wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:

i'm alittle confused by the comment, "compare club hockey with high school hockey?"  it's a good indicater for future opinions.  and the bottineau team that played other A teams, wasn't a true A team.  they had 2 bantam teams, that were split mainly by age.  the younger team had alot of talent, some of the kids should of been on the other team.  i guess there were internal issues, my team played against the younger squad at the bantam b1 last year in grafton.  there goalie ended up in the hosiptal 2 weeks before the tournament and they used the peewee goalie.  they ended up getting the cons. championship.

i guess my point is that when you combine the two teams, they will be good.  maybe the days of bottineau, shanley, devils lake, and fargo north are coming back.  my brother told me that all 4 teams use to be competitive.

Ok then if you want to go by that mandan's bantam A team last year went to the state A1 tourney, and they took constalation i think but lost to the first place team by 2 goals grafton in there first game. there were no bismarck teams in the A1 tourney so your telling me mandan should be a close lock for west region contetion when they get to be juniors and seniors? It ok to compare, but you can't rely on the club hockey records. 

Last edited by Ditka14 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby anderson16 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Enough talk about these bull crap bottineau and minot and williston kids. 
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brownbomber » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:20 am

Ditka14 wrote:
The Hockey Wizzard wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:

Ok then if you want to go by that mandan's bantam A team last year went to the state A1 tourney, and they took constalation i think but lost to the first place team by 2 goals grafton in there first game. there were no bismarck teams in the A1 tourney so your telling me mandan should be a close lock for west region contetion when they get to be juniors and seniors? It ok to compare, but you can't rely on the club hockey records. 

i believe there was one
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:22 am

anderson16 wrote:Enough talk about these bull crap bottineau and minot and williston kids. 

there talking bout next years wda
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby tim » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 am

HockeyHigh wrote:

If you're going by club hockey, let me look up Bantam A State hockey for the 2009 graduating class (When they'll be seniors).

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/GrandForksHerald/2006/03/20/1294153?extID=10037&oliID=229

The Flyers (Who beat GF in the semifinals) lost to Grafton by a whopping 5 goals. I'm guessing this won't be even close to how the High School games should turn out, but we'll see. If it does shape up this way, that Bottineau team would lose by 20+

bottineau would  have lost by 20+ huh, didnt mandan loose in the first round last year by two goals, and i do believe that bottineau lost to them in overtime twice last year... twenty goals is a long spread, when a team that they are similar to lost by two, take the zero off of the back and i think that would have been more like it.

I do agree that you can t rely on club hockey to tell you the future of high school. but i do believe that you can look at some of the talent that is coming up, do make a rough estimate on how a team will be.
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby Metal Edge » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 am

jo wrote:[suP]i thought that goalie from bottineau was pretty good.  he is the only sophmore ranked in the top goalies b/c kovacs is a junior.  getzlaff also played every game.  hes pretty decent
[/suP]

he let 18 goals in during the WDA, that's 6.0 goals per game.  getzlaff has his work cut out if he wants to be a top-goaltender. 
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby WildWarrior » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:53 am

It is nice to see Bottineau is having some success in their feeder program.  I can attest first hand though that is not a good indicator of future success.  In the 1988 bantam state tournament we (DL) were heavily favored to win as we had beaten everyone throughout the year.  The whole town was excited as even the radio was going to broadcast our championship game.  The radio guy left when he heard we were up 5-0 after one period.  When he arrived we had been beaten 6-5.  Our goalie allowed a weak goal from center ice and that just opened the floodgates.  Fargo South beat us and then won easily in the championship.  Anyhow enough reliving the past.  My point is we didn't even make it to the state tournament my jr. or sr. year. 

I too though do remember some strong bottineau teams, I remember a foreign exchange student from sweden i believe, Per Valan or something like that.  I remember DL had beaten them everytime during the season in close games and in the consolation bracket of the state tourney it was 3-0 before i got to my seat in the 1st period.  Bottineau wiped us that game.
Last edited by WildWarrior on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 am

RR just keeps reloading year after year after year.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby jo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:03 pm

[size=2] 
[/size]
Last edited by jo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Metal Edge wrote:
jo wrote:[sup]i thought that goalie from bottineau was pretty good.  he is the only sophmore ranked in the top goalies b/c kovacs is a junior.  getzlaff also played every game.  hes pretty decent
[/sup]

he let 18 goals in during the WDA, that's 6.0 goals per game.  getzlaff has his work cut out if he wants to be a top-goaltender.
r u serious he let in 4 goals against bismark w/ like 44 shots and did u c the goals that went in the wiliston game 6 of them were the crazyest goals that ive ever ceen and half went off his own team mates u cant blame them on the goalie
jo
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clark17 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:36 pm

WildWarrior wrote:

It is nice to see Bottineau is having some success in their feeder program.  I can attest first hand though that is not a good indicator of future success.  In the 1988 bantam state tournament we (DL) were heavily favored to win as we had beaten everyone throughout the year.  The whole town was excited as even the radio was going to broadcast our championship game.  The radio guy left when he heard we were up 5-0 after one period.  When he arrived we had been beaten 6-5.  Our goalie allowed a weak goal from center ice and that just opened the floodgates.  Fargo South beat us and then won easily in the championship.  Anyhow enough reliving the past.  My point is we didn't even make it to the state tournament my jr. or sr. year. 

I too though do remember some strong bottineau teams, I remember a foreign exchange student from sweden i believe, Per Valan or something like that.  I remember DL had beaten them everytime during the season in close games and in the consolation bracket of the state tourney it was 3-0 before i got to my seat in the 1st period.  Bottineau wiped us that game.
D.L. didn't beat Bottineau that year, loses came from Minot, South and Shanley.  I also believe that particular D.L. goalie was kind of a head case.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Hockey Wizzard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:49 pm

jo wrote:
Metal Edge wrote:
jo wrote:[suP]i thought that goalie from bottineau was pretty good.  he is the only sophmore ranked in the top goalies b/c kovacs is a junior.  getzlaff also played every game.  hes pretty decent
[/suP]

r u serious he let in 4 goals against bismark w/ like 44 shots and did u c the goals that went in the wiliston game 6 of them were the crazyest goals that ive ever ceen and half went off his own team mates u cant blame them on the goalie

i'm not buying the agruement that 6 of the 9 goals were not his fault.  good goalies win games, ave. goalies keep it close, and we all know the outcome of a bad goalie.  darwin g. from bottineau has alot to prove if he wants to be a top goaltender.
The Hockey Wizzard
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hcky1616 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Where does Bottineau play their Bantam A team. They only skate a Bantam B team in NDAHA ??????
hcky1616

Postby tim » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:33 pm

i heard that the ndaha wouldnt let them play b/c they felt that they werent good enough or something, and they only wanted to play for the one year, they proved that they were good enough by tipping over some of the larger towns from the west (minot, mandan, williston, dickenson).  This year bottineau won the peewee b tournament, and they also have a great shot at winning the Bantom too, id say that they should just play A hockey. Last year, if the good bottineau bantom team played b hockey they would have cleaned up the whole league, they were well coached, and they might not have had the most talent, but they definately took advantage of everything they could get.
tim
NDPreps Starter

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:01 pm

Clark17 wrote:
WildWarrior wrote:

D.L. didn't beat Bottineau that year, loses came from Minot, South and Shanley.  I also believe that particular D.L. goalie was kind of a head case.

The goalie I was referring to was our bantam goalie who was by know means a headcase and yes we DID beat everybody.  As far as the varsity that year maybe i was mistaken and we didn't beat bottineau.  I do remember on the opening day we play GFRR very tough and then the letdown in the consolation was crazy, Bottineau had a very good team.  That Swede had on heck of a slapshot!!!!!
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey